Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Argentinean Town of Teens

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 29 December 2007 | Views [1699]

Bariloche is a hot spot ski destination for Argentineans and Chileans, and an city to be seen in, strutting your stuff in the summer.  we figured it would be a happening spot to spend New Years Eve.  What we didn't realize is that it's an equally strong magnet for end of year school groups.  In both Argentina and while, class groups of teenagers save up all year long, raising money to take a big end-of-year trip.  They travel in packs of 20+ kids, in big tour busses and engulf cool, calm tourist destinations en masse - Bariloche being no exception.  There must be at least 50 tour busses in town, 15 year old teens crown the streets like ants on candy.  The local teens in town come out to partake in the fun, their tiny compact cars specially "lowered" close to the grounds with big spoilers on the boot, thumping oversized speakers blaring on the roadside.  This beautiful ski and outdoor adventure paradise has been transformed into a raging pot of teen hormones.  Between the hordes of kids and the "jeweled and furred" out glitzy women with big tinted sunglasses, and newly fixed up plastic body parts consuming everything in their path, from furry animal ware for body and feet, expensive jewels, and massive boxes of handcrafted chocolates, it's more like a Los Angeles here, and I think this town is a huge shock to our system. Overly touristy, commercial, and the epitome of reckless capitalism and consumption.  We'll keep a low profile, away from the teens and glitzy rich, and tuck ourselves away eating at the good, yet very inexpensive quaint family run restaurant of El Boliche de Alberto - a great Italian restaurant that we've now been two twice for pumpkin ravioli and $3 bottle of nice Malbec Vino.

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.