Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Walking On The Moon

CHILE | Monday, 10 December 2007 | Views [1053]

We did break down to take a tour of the Valle de la Muerte (Valley of Death), and Valle de la Luna (Valley of the Moon).  We drive less than 30 minutes outside the pueblo of San Pedro to find the most eerie landscape.  Around us, wind eroded rocks thrust like pinnacles toward the sky, dried up lakes, riverbeds, and windswept san dunes ripple in between,  In the Valley of the Dead, there are remnants of sacrificial altars "pukara" atop hills where the ancient indigenous peoples from a civilization long lost, were beheaded by the Spanish conquistadors and dumped off the steep cliffside.  Our guide shares with us stories from the miners that also inhabited this area years ago, and the harsh conditions they lived and toiled under.  
 
After an hour of trekking through the piping hot rock formations, we make our way to the "Moon Valley."  It's clear why this place is named after the moon, the landscape resembles the surface of the moon.  We trekked out on a steep, narrow slice of moon, past a sea of sand dunes to our right, and jagged rocks to our left for the most amazing views as the sun sets, across the Cordillera and Andean mountain ranges, along with a chain of volcanoes peaking just over 6,000m.  The winds are howling, and we crouch low as we walk to keep our balance on the trail that's big enough only for one foot in front of the other.  We sit in awe of the sight before us, as the sun drips down behind the volcanoes turning the sky and snow covered cones and lunar rocks hues of deep orange, then to red, purple and indigo.  Sharing a single bottle of wine that two of our tour group guests brought along, it makes the walk back feel all so much more relaxing, as we teeter on the thin ridge walking back in the dark toward the ocean of sand dunes in the distance.  The moon rises above the mountains as the sun completely retires for the night... all in all, an experience and vistas difficult to find the words to describe.

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.