Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Border to Bolivia

BOLIVIA | Wednesday, 28 November 2007 | Views [950]

We take an early morning Colectur bus out of Puno this morning to begin our adventure into Bolivia.  It's a three hour ride, winding through small altiplano towns and dusty villages that look like "ghost towns," until we get to the Peruvian immigration check point.  We first visit the police office, and then the immigration office, to get our passport exit stamps and return our Peruvian tourist card.  We walk across the boarder and "shazam," we're in Bolivia, where we clear immigration and customs, and get our 30 day tourist card.  We're lucky we're crossing today, as we've just learned that on December 1, all US citizens entering Bolivia as tourists will be assessed a $100 reciprocity tax, a similar action that other South American countries are implementing to respond to the high cost of entry for their citizens into the US.  That certainly would have put a dent into our budget.  Next door to immigration are stalls full of money changers.  We hold out, with our small stash of US dollars, hoping to get a better rate in Copacabana, our destination for today.  There are no ATM's in Copa, so we've kept a minimal stash of dollars with us for our few days there, not wanting to carry a ton of money on us.

We get dropped off early in Copa - imagine that, a bus that actually gets in early... and head to our hostel La Cupula.  this place has an amazing view overlooking the Lake.  We could easily hang here for several days, if only we could breath at just under 4000M!

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.