Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Trekking Prep

PERU | Wednesday, 21 November 2007 | Views [985]

We sent a bunch of warm trekking clothing home from Nepal to lighten our loads over the past seven months and are a bit light on things for our four day Inca Trail trek. The good thing is that we only need a few layers, as there are no showers, and it's camping the entire time, so no need for a fresh change of clothes this week. However, we decided we'd splurge on waterproof ponchos, lesson learned from the rainy hikes in Myanmar, Laos and Nepal. We went for the $6 poncho versus the cheap looking plastic trash bag that we thought we might suffocate underneath. Also, after four months searching for replacement batteries for our head lamp, we finally found a set of the 4 disc type batteries that would do the trick and eliminate the need to buy a new headlamp. Darrin was in search of long johns, but same deal as he found in Nepal, they were all too tiny and tight. We stopped by the SAS office (the company we're doing the trek with) and ordered up two -5 degree sleeping bags to rent for the four days. They provide all the other camping equipment, so I think we're set.

We had our big pre-trek briefing, where there was already one woman in the group puking during the meeting from altitude sickness. Our guides, Reuben and Oscar, local Peruvians from Inca families, have worked hard to earn their university degrees in tourism, archeology and history and are passionate about the trek and sharing history with us. We're given our sleeping bags, mats and duffle for our other few choice items that we've hired an extra porter to carry for us (a dry change of clothes for night, socks and my down jacket). We seem to have a cool group of trekkers, and are keen to get a good start to the day tomorrow.

Tags: Packing & gadgets

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.