Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Panamanian Bugs

PANAMA | Monday, 15 October 2007 | Views [1445]

We awoke with bites all over us this morning.   That's what we get for staying in $30 Hostel Mamallena.  it was the Lonely Planets Author's top pick for budget accommodation.  There was supposed to be air conditioning and screens on the windows.  Guess we should've known better when we saw the bloodstained mosquito remains all over the walls of our tiny room.  Fevers, food poisoning and itchy bits are wearing us down.  I think we're hitting a wall of travel exhaustion.  We've been dreaming of our bed and pillows at home.  They say our anti-malarial drugs - Mefloquine - cause delirious dreams.  We step out into the streets of Panama city hoping for a nice relaxing walk, and take in the sights and sounds of our new locale, but we're met with heavy humidity, scorching heat, and crowds of people, cars, busses, black bellowing petrol fumes and congestion.  It feels like we're in downtown Miami, or is this Los Angeles?  Did we even land in Panama last night?  Perhaps we're in Panama City, Florida?  Is this a bad dream, and it's all the Mefloquine's fault?  We hit the grocery store for some rehydrants and sandwiches.  Today is a day to recover and plan our next moves here in Panama.  We'll need a couple days to give our bodies time to rebound, and unfortunately, many of the other budget places are fully booked, so another night in the bug motel it will be... we have no energy to go out and search further. Today we must sleep.

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Panama

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.