Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Take Two: First Day of School

GUATEMALA | Monday, 1 October 2007 | Views [977]

After an amazing breakfast of big fluffy pancakes, fresh tropical fruit, fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee, Naya takes me by the hand to walk me to school.  I already feel like I'm part of their family.  The school director and owner, Juan Carlos, meets and greets me at the door, and I'm extended a warm welcome by their staff.  I am whisked off to meet Estella, my 4'5" tall teacher, who has been teaching here for 15 years, and has an excellent track record.  I had let Juan Carlos know I was disappointed with the ability to select the more experienced teachers at the other school, as some were booked for months in advance by other students, so he's really taken my requests and expectations seriously and has lined up a super teacher.  The staff at this school really cares about the experience of it's students.  At breaks, I'm regularly visited by staff members, asking how things are going, and for feedback.  It's only been one day of class, yet I feel like I've been at this school for a year.  They make me feel very welcome.  The only downfall is that this school is much larger than the other one  It's not a small, intimate family environment where you get to know all the students and faculty.  That said, it's a new experience, and I wish I had more weeks here to study, it's definitely not easy to master another language, and each day of class that passes I realize just how much I don't know.

Darrin took a couple days break from class, and is using his time to let concepts and vocabulary sink in.  I'm back to the house at 1:00 p.m., for a fabulous lunch, which is way too much food for me to eat, I've actually had to request they serve me smaller portions, as I don't want to be rude leaving food on my plate.  I finish my homework , and we join a couple other students for another salsa dance lesson.  Darrin, being the only guy in class besides the teacher, is requested to come to the front of the room, and demonstrate and be a lead male to pair up with the other women.  He's completely mortified, and I'm sure I'll never get him back out to another free lesson again!

I'm well fed, both body and mind, here in Antigua.  Life is good!

Tags: Adventures

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.