Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Ground Hog Day: Huevos y Frijoles Cada Dia

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 25 September 2007 | Views [1832]

Every day here is like that movie "Ground Hog Day," with respect to our meals.  We wake up and by 7:00 a.m. our nasty breakfast of a hard bread roll smeared with a layer of leftover refried beans (which have been sitting on the counter in a pan for the past few days) and a tiny half cup of corn flakes and half cup of milk.  Occasionally we would get a banana, but we stopped eating them last week because they were brown and mushy.  We ball up our stale bread and bean roll into our napkins and deposit them into our garbage bag in our bedroom, not wanting to seem ungrateful for the food.  We head off to school and hit the corner bakery "Xela Pan" for a cinnamon scone to quench our hunger pains.  We down a ton of coffee all morning to curb our appetite - because lunch is not very good either - the lipton cup-o-soup, cold corn tortillas, occasional quarter of a tiny breast of chicken, and uncooked veggies that we can't eat because our house mom doesn't treat the water she washes the food in.  At least lunches are a little more filling, which they should be, as lunch is the biggest meal of the day in Guatemala.  Dinners are getting harder and harder to swallow.  Scrambled eggs with black teflon bits form the pan, eggshells and the occasional hair.  Yum.  Today the eggs are actually fried, all shiny and plastic looking with some red soupy covering layered over them.  We think it's salsa, but the eggs are so rubbery we don't eat them.  And we can't forget the dallup of old, cold ,refried beans, some days the beans are in sold form, some days more liquid, and have spread into the eggs.  We get a stale piece of bread to soak up the nasty meal, and as always a cup of tea because they frequently run out of water, and they also save coffee only for family and friends at the house, it's never offered to us.  So this is our daily meal ritual.  I think we're losing weight, which actually will be a first in our eight months on the road - not such a bad thing.
We salivate when our friends share details each day about their local delicacies their house mom’s are serving up.

Tags: Food & eating

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.