Existing Member?

Let Large Two recently married Tasmanians, flying to the US, with ambitions to buy a bb gun at walmart, be stars in LA by wearing sunlasses indoors, re-marry in Vegas, pack an artery with creole cooking in New Orleans, and determine whether America needs saving

Yangshou - What Do Chinese Eat for Breakfast?

CHINA | Wednesday, 25 April 2007 | Views [4001] | Comments [3]

Hot Pot

Hot Pot

China is a place where breakfasts know no bounds.  For instance, it would not be uncommon to expect rice, noodles, and cinnamon scrolls.  On the other hand, Chinese indulge in watermelon, oatmeal, and occasionally dog meat infused with grapefruit juice.  A highly popular breakfast dish amongst cat lovers throughout China.  Domesticated animal meat has become a regualar addition to many chinese menus across the country for breakfast lunch and tea.  It is not unheard of to also indulge in dog and cabbage soup followed by pureed dog pudding drissled in lemon juice.  These dishes have become such a hit that dog lobbyists around China have attempted to sway the imbalance by introducing such dishes as broiled cat with Jasmine, mint tea with cat, and the increasingly popular steamed cat and ginger dumplings.  The edible pet industry is in such a flux that restaurants are stealing cats and dogs from the back yards of local chinese residents.  And to prevent the authorities from being alerted, the owners are kidnapped too.  Their whaereabouts are seldomly ever known.  It is said Sichuan dishes are a likely place. 

I have reached Yangshou where Kaarst formations tower over the small party city.  I have just eaten the hottest meal of my life in a Sichuan restaurant involving a plate of red chillies and pretty much nothing else.  Tomorrow I will cycle aroung Yangshou, bamboo raft a river, and do some caving as well.  Yangshou is by far my most favourite place, and I hope to be able to post some pictures when I leave China, or when I find a better internet connection.

...signing off for now.

Tags: food & eating

Comments

1

This area including the Liyang River is one of Ross' and my favourite places anywhere, but you know it is traditional to sing Chinese opera when poling those bamboo rafts.Hope you've been practising.

Love Marley

  Marley Apr 25, 2007 8:18 AM

2

Ezz alluded to "whispering" in the last entry - do the Chinese whisper much? Do they twist the flesh of one anothers forearms? And what IS the price of fish in China?

Hottest meal of your life you say? I think we all know what that means: Soon you'll be enjoying - or not enjoying, depending on your outlook on such matters - the hottest poo of your life. If you're the extreme sportsman I think you are then I'm certain that you will relish the crisp tingle and sting that will surely accompany your next stool. Let us know how that goes.

I find that stories of lavatory-based misadventure are the centrepiece of any good travel diary.

  Mick O Apr 27, 2007 12:53 PM

3

Adrian, where do you come up with this stuff....lol I guess I'm not the only one who can't believe a word you say...lol

Hope you're having fun...wherever you are....

Bonnie

  Bonnie May 14, 2007 7:45 AM

About largeone

Pub

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.