Existing Member?

Sushi and Chips I do most profoundly believe that it is better to search in the maze and risk getting lost than stay and be in a cheeseless situation...i am thus off in search of some damn good cheese!

The Day I Found The Meaning Of Life

JAPAN | Sunday, 19 April 2009 | Views [524]

Just as Rod Stewart’s awesometasical line ‘the rhythm of my heart is beating like a drum with the words I love you rolling off my tongue, no never will I roam for I know my place is home; where the ocean meets the sky I’ll be sailing’ seems to sum up love for me, a cherry tree growing out of a rock strikes a similar truthful chord. Quite what note it is I am not sure, but there is something magnificently profound about seeing such a sight.

See I visited the big smoke of Morioka this weekend and found myself beyond happy to be amongst the hustle and bustle of a more normal world than my home dreamland. To be in a crowd. To shop. To eat a burger! Oh the bliss of the city life! Perhaps it was my hyper fuelled appreciation for the world that just bubbled over when I met with friends that caused me to find poignant things everywhere I turned, but I’m not kidding you, Morioka is the city where the meaning of life is hidden.

So there I am just ambling down the street one fine day, talking with friends, blissfully unaware of the revelation before me. We see the crowd. Cross the street. And there it is before me.

A tree.

In a rock.

I got one of those stabby emotions in my belly where you know you’re feeling something special you just don’t know which category it comes under, love, hate, bad curry…it takes a second or two to work it out. But this I couldn’t. It was beyond my comprehension. I kept looking but it made me uncomfortable so I walked away. I mean I understand how it is possible, but actually seeing this beautiful old tree dripping with blossom and propped up on crutches originating from a crack in a giant rock…it’s sort of baffling. I guess in a way it symbolises how Japan has felt for me so far; the normal, arranged in an abnormal way. The familiar, de-familiarised. As if that wasn’t enough to chuck Jess Dowse off the thinking-too-much cliff, I only go and see a snow covered volcano at the end of a busy road of traffic! Right about this time my friends are laughing at me trying to get over the surreal they are now accustomed to. I consider taking a photo but it seems a ridiculous idea to try and frame insanity, so I just walk on having one of those movie moments when you have a birds-eye view of your situation and realise the true hilarity of it all. I have this sensation a lot here.

Really, I know I’m sounding like a bit of a hippy now, but seeing trees in rocks, volcanoes on streets, bulls in a field without any fence, rope bridges between houses and red lights for no cars and no people…. Maybe I was just high on life because I was let loose for a few hours… but I don’t know, it seems to me that Morioka is the holy grail of what life’s all about…Well it’s certainly what my life’s about right now given there’s no crap TV to watch and I like have to be all intellectual and stuff coz they aint got celeb mags so I can read about Jordan and Peter and that. Sucks.….   

Tags: cherry trees in rocks, morioka

About ladydowse

great view!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.