Existing Member?

the world outside / outside the world My life outside America: teaching, learning, living, loving.

Cairns white water rafting experience at the Barron River!

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 2 July 2010 | Views [3155]

Rafting at the Cairns Barron River!

Rafting at the Cairns Barron River!

I’m in Cairns at the moment soaking up the nice weather and being a tourist as this is one of THE places to go touristing in Australia. My dad flew over from LAX to Australia for a mini-two week vacation as congratulatory prize for me graduating university with a Masters degree. Whoo!

 

We’ve been here in Cairns for almost a week now and have done a decent amount of touristing from snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef to visiting Kuranda and Rainforestation as well as having pictures snapped holding a koala and petting kangaroos. So far so good!

 

Today was the best day for me so far! I found an amazing little café near our hotel called The Lillipad Café which had amazing vegetarian food (and also some meat options for the meat-eaters out there). Great place to go if you’re veggie and/or want healthy and delicious food. Highly recommended!

 

After that, my dad and I were picked up at our hotel and went on a half-day white water rafting river experience with R&R Rafting. We went down the Barron River which is a rapids level 3 (ie a moderate to medium grade rapid) with our guide and another couple of people (8 in total) and had a lot of fun maneuvering with our paddles and holding on tight when falling down some of the rapids. The people in our group were super friendly, I got to talk in Japanese to the three Japanese tourists behind me, and our guide was awesome as well!

 

Don’t be worried about the river being a grade 3 though; a grade 3 isn’t all that bad. Even my dad (who doesn’t like rollercoasters or anything very adventurous) had a lovely time. Be forwarned, however, that there is a possibility that you could fall out of the boat for a brief minute or two before being rescued and hauled back in; it happened to the girl in front of me, but it was no big deal as it seems to happen a lot so all the guides were well prepared for that inevitability. No worries.

 

They offered photos afterward that we could look through while having free chips and tea/coffee or buy happy hour beers at a pub. Pictures bought, off home we went a little tired but quite content with the day’s adventures.

 

Now, if I can only convince my dad to come on the full-day grade 4 (ie a little rougher) Tully River rafting experience on our only free day here – Sunday. Wish me luck. Haha.

 

Happy rafting!!

 

Tags: australia, barron river, cairns, rafting, tour, tourist

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.