Existing Member?

the world outside / outside the world My life outside America: teaching, learning, living, loving.

To think that I am now in Australia

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 4 January 2010 | Views [930]

Darwin boat ride on the Yellow Billabong.

Darwin boat ride on the Yellow Billabong.

Welcome to the flip side, literally. A locational shift from the Northern to the Southern hemisphere; Japan to Australia. And welcome to the new year and whatever that shall entail.

 

I have been in Australia for about half a year now, strange to think about but true. I have had many small adventures which I regretfully must bow my head and shamefully admit that such adventures have gone unwritten about. I currently live in Melbourne but have had the chance and opportunity to visit Darwin and surrounding areas (Kakadu, Litchfield), Phillip Island for tiny penguin viewing, the Mornington Peninsula for a mini-work trip, Sydney for fun, Bendigo for Christmas, and have just returned today from a small road trip up and down the Great Ocean Road.

 

I have had the chance to see many strange animals (kangaroos, koalas, llamas, camels, and many more), visit many interesting parks and zoos (Kakadu, Werribee, Phillip Island), see varied performances and speeches (such as the Dalai Lama), go to a ridiculous number of chocolate cafes and try to understand Melbourne’s coffee culture. I have also coughed up more money than I want to think about to go to university here in Australia as an international student. I have tried to further enhance my local knowledge and know-how, embrace the culture of the area, and make many varied and interesting friends. It has been a busy year shifting from one continent to the other.

 

So much has been accomplished in this past half-year and yet so much more must be done. I hope to not be lazy and actually get some blogs down in the near future at least about some of these experiences or perhaps my experiences to come in this new year.

 

Whatever the next 12 months will bring I hope to face it head on and get the most out of my experiences. The same to you, whomever you may be. All the best in this year to come.

Tags: australia, japan, melbourne, new years, travel

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.