Existing Member?

the world outside / outside the world My life outside America: teaching, learning, living, loving.

Catching some culture: Osaka's National Art Museum

JAPAN | Sunday, 1 March 2009 | Views [5821]

The National Museum of Art, Osaka

The National Museum of Art, Osaka

My friend and I felt the need for a little bit of culture so we headed over to the National Museum of Art in Osaka. Leaving Higobashi exit 3 (on the blue Yotsubashi subway line) we followed a map directly outside the station to the museum. The museum’s architecture is like some sort of shiny silver metallic monstrosity, sort of like a prototype to China’s Olympic birdcage stadium; interesting but frankly a bit odd. For some reason it reminded me of being back home in Los Angeles heading over to the MOCA, or Museum of Contemporary Art, which is what is housed in Osaka – rather contemporary pieces, pictures, and installations.

 

Going inside and downstairs to buy tickets we headed into the first exhibit – Avant-Garde China: 20 Years of Chinese Contemporary Art including famous artists (and exhibitionists!) Huang Yong Ping, Fang Lijun, Zhang Huan, and Ma Liuming. While I would like to have some witty and insightful response to this exhibit I can frankly say that I left it a little puzzled, actually. Some of the art was what I was expecting – a bit of Andy Warhol, a bit of Dali and Magritte, a splash of this and a smidge of that – the video installations by two particular artists left me a bit… lost.

 

First up was Ma Liuming where we see photos of him cross-dressing as a pretty woman as he is rather androgynous to begin with. Ok, cool. I can see this being avant-garde in Communist China. Walking past the pictures into one of his two video rooms, I see the first video room offer him up to the screen nude and cooking up some form of meat and just sort of hanging out (in more ways than one). Ok, whatever floats his boat, I guess. The second room was him taking off his clothes and then taking a shower. Did I mention inside the shower there were these big fish hanging from hooks just gaping at the camera as they slowly died a painful and suffocating death, being out of water and hung from hooks!! I am sure this is some insightful commentary on China at the time but I suppose I am just too obtuse to figure out what it might be.

 

The video room beside Ma Liuming showcased Zhang Huan, who currently resides in New York, another nude video, this time of the artist being hung from thick chains as an IV stuck in his arm dripped down onto a pristine white container. It looked like there might have been something heating the blood as it looked to be boiling with steam coming up. Um, watching it was kind of gross, actually. His second video room showed him getting into a river with a young boy on his shoulders as he navigates the water. There are all these other men standing stock still in the waist-length water and he passes them, stone-faced. Again, I was at a loss for the meaning of either piece. Was the blood-dripping piece a commentary on Communist China sucking the lifeblood out of people?! I don’t know. I suppose I should brush up on my Chinese history a bit, though I suspect I will still be left in the dark on these installations.

 

The second main exhibit was The Concrete Poetry of Seiichi Niikuni: Between Poetry and Art, Collection 4 which was a rather interesting take on the written form of roman lettering (usually in English or French) and kanji, or Chinese written characters, as an art form. It looked like it could have been straight out of a typography or graphic design class. What I really liked was that between my friend and I we could figure out what the kanji meant so we could appreciate the pictures more. For instance there could be a kanji about darkness and there are other kanji similar to that floating around the picture sort of simulating what darkness is. Or another one had the kanji for prisoner on it which is basically made from two different symbols – person and mouth. But the person is inside the mouth (which looks like a square so there is no way out) meaning it is like a prison cell and the picture was a take on those three kanji – person, mouth, prisoner. Really quite interesting if you know your Chinese characters. I was quite fond of this exhibit actually.

 

So there went my 1,000 yen (~$10) and my two hours of time. It was an interesting day and I’m glad I had the chance to check out these two installations which are running until March 22, 2009. The great thing about the Avant-Garde exhibition was that everything was both in Japanese and English – and good museum-quality English at that (no Engrish here folks!) – so you can try to read and understand (even if somewhat unsuccessfully) what you are seeing. Well worth the trip if you are a contemporary art lover and have a little time to spare inside a museum. While I can't say that I'm particularly a contemporary art lover I must admit that do love spending time inside museums. You can check out the museum as well or go to their homepage in English here: http://www.nmao.go.jp/english/home.html

 

Happy viewing!

Tags: art, china, contemporary, culture, japan, kanji, museum, osaka

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.