Existing Member?

the world outside / outside the world My life outside America: teaching, learning, living, loving.

Tokyo's newest animal cafe - hedgehogs!

JAPAN | Saturday, 16 April 2016 | Views [583]

Hedgehog cafe!

Hedgehog cafe!

There has been a lot of interest in the newly opened hedgehog café in Tokyo. I figured while I was in the area I should see what all the fuss was about.

Harry is on the second floor of Ms.Bunny, the rabbit café, in Roppongi. It is incredibly popular right now so a reservation is a good idea, even if there are eight spots saved for walk-ins. I made my reservation two days ahead and there was a decent amount of availability but day-of was completely booked.

The café is a short walk from Roppongi station. You head up a set of stairs and find yourself in a rather small room surrounded by aquariums with hedgehogs of various sizes and colors inside.  The staff let you choose your hedgehog and they place it in a box in front of you so you can play with and hold your hedgehog. My advice is to choose your hedgehog wisely. I decided on a larger off-white one that seemed awake. Turns out he was very lively and spent most of his time exploring and defecating.  Ah well. It was still fun to experience a hedgehog up close and personal as it made me realize that I would not want a hedgehog as a pet. Good to know!

Anyway, it was a fun experience and worth the time if you happen to be in Tokyo and want to try out a new café (if cats, dogs, owls, and rabbits are not your thing).

It is ¥1,000 (~$10 US) per thirty minutes, though I think most reservations are made for an hour. Mealworms are an additional ¥500 (~$5).

Happy playing (and try not to get stabbed).

You can make reservations here: http://www.harinezumi-cafe.com/english/

And when hunting up the cafe on Google look for Ms.Bunny, not Harry.

Tags: animal cafe, hedgehog cafe, hedgehogs, japan, tokyo

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.