Existing Member?

Europe or BUST I am going to Iceland for 21 days on a volunteer expedition in east Iceland, actually. I will be donating my time to do organic farming with my workcamp. After that I will be on my own to backpack around Europe. Feel free to send me messages !

DAY 1 - Copenhagen, Denmark - Following the crowd...

DENMARK | Tuesday, 22 September 2009 | Views [768]

Finally, so happy to get off this train.  Got my crap off the belt and headed out, bought a denmark-something card that allows me free access to museums, discounts on stuff and it includes free rides on public transit.  My bag was so frickin' heavy, killing my back while I'm waiting for the mass of cyclers everywhere to stop for a second, I'm searching for a Wi-Fi access point - nowhere to be found.  Apparently the cafes here don't really enocourage internet potatoes, or something, like how I can be sometimes. 

In the internet cafe I found soon after I got myself a cheap hotel room, unloaded, tried to trim my beard a little bit more with my electric clippers I brought, the voltage isn't compatible with them so that made me sad.  I just wanted to look a centimeter more trimmed !


There is an Afghani store around the corner from my hotel with an outdoor fruit and vegetable stand and an underground dry goods store, that was my cheapest bet for the time being.  Then I took a walk down the busy commercial street off to the right of the ferris wheel, I'm glad there's an H&M there because I need a new hoodie.  Also, I'm glad it's about 20 degrees warmer here than it was in Iceland, so I really didn't need that 66 North coat after all.  Good.


It was a long stroll down that street and I was met with a cool fountain in front of me and a huge wide open park.  There I sat down for a rest and to discreetly pull out of my navigating device and punch in a few places from the tourtist guide, ugh I hate using these in public, I like to be inconspicuous as to not attract vagrants and other city pollutants.  I got the directions for Christiania.  :-)

So I get there, it's chill and quite populated today, I bought a coffee and thanked the lady plenty of times for answering my questions, she told I could leave the coffeecup anywhere in the town, she'd come get it before closing.  I found that funny...

'Desperate Living' (John Waters) instantly came to mind when I was exploring the different areas of this tiny town.  Walking around I notice everyone is having a great time playing backgammon, drinking their beers, smoking their cigarettes, yes those and then some, and there was plenty of cheap food, mostly vegetarian.  I've had enough of that thanks.  I felt like everybody was staring at my bushy beard because nobody there had one on their faces, I saw mostly skinheads I think. I grabbed a beer and people watched for a little bit, got up and looked around once more. 

As I was leaving I notice this, what looked to be a private group, who were entering an art museum and there was a presentation about the history of Christianize going on.  Fun! I didn't even blend in the with crowd, they all looked like pompous well-to-do kinda people.  I stood in the back and listened to the history from the beginning, as Christiana was used a military base in the 60s but then it cleared out and left many empty buildings.  That's when people started to fill in the those empty spots.  The people in Christiania to this day have enabled Democracy in their small settling point within Copenagen and their government is totally by the self.  They are under threat of the Danish Government to shut down.  :-( 


I didn't stick around for much longer because when the the museum speaker tried to crack a joke about someone always seems to be where they shouldn't be, one of the viewers said something like 'there's one among us' and I heard a small chuckle to themselves.  I knew they were talking about me, I joined in on a free ride to their tour of Christiania, for free.  I tip toed out of there and laughed to myself, heehee ! 8-P

I think overall I really do enjoy being here today, it really has re-energized my well being to be in such an upbeat, thrivingly beautiful city.  I <3 Copenhagen. 


The walk back home was nice, darker and less people out and about.  I may even find a hostel to check into tomorrow, it'll be cheaper and I could probably make a friend out of it.

s

 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.