Existing Member?

Europe or BUST I am going to Iceland for 21 days on a volunteer expedition in east Iceland, actually. I will be donating my time to do organic farming with my workcamp. After that I will be on my own to backpack around Europe. Feel free to send me messages !

SEEDS - DAY 16 - WEDNESDAY - 9/16

ICELAND | Sunday, 20 September 2009 | Views [385]

Last day ! it was so biting cold outside today that my feet felt like total ice.  It was long work, seemed to never end but we pulled through and freezed our asses off in the drizzling rain.  
    Lilya and I drove out to Eggilstattid to pick up beer and liquor for the party tonight, her mother drove us there . She doesn't speak a world of English, her mother.  (Now noticing how my handwriting has changed from erratic to legible right now..).  I bought so much effin' beer I don't think I'm going to make most of my money back tonight selling it off to the camp.  
    Dinner was enjoyable and everyone is in a great mood tonight, so am I.  My time spent here has been a major adjustment but it's what I needed to do to clear my mind.  This farm is nice, quiet and peaceful.  Boy am I so glad we're done with potatoes ! I feel bad for the next SEEDS because they might be pulling potatoes for the rest of their time here, but my heart goes out to Eymunder who will feel the impact most of all.  Good luck dude.  
    The beer finally came out and I sold most of it.  300 ISK ($2.50 USD) per Viking can and 200 ISK ($1.50) for Thule beer.  The bonfire was great and the new workcamp has arrived with a fresh load of new people, they joined in to celebrate and buy my beer.  I got so drunk last night ! After dancing with the girls in the flower bar (FUNNNNN !!!) I put on 'More than words' by Extreme as the nightcap to a wonderful evening, and then I started to cry.  I cried harder than I have ever cried before, it wasn't loud and obnoxious, but more of a struggle to choke back my tears in silence.  One thing, I hardly ever cry, if ever at all.  Two, I don't cry when I'm drunk.  But when that song came on, as with everytime I hear that song, all sorts of memories from past and present surfaced with such a force that I couldn't help but let it all out.  I needed that.  Laura was there to console me the whole time, she is so sweet.  I guess I had a little too much to drink.  That song, combined with my emotions, memories, and the perfect moment allowed me to pour it all out, I couldn't stop.  

 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.