Existing Member?

Europe or BUST I am going to Iceland for 21 days on a volunteer expedition in east Iceland, actually. I will be donating my time to do organic farming with my workcamp. After that I will be on my own to backpack around Europe. Feel free to send me messages !

SEEDS - DAY 7 - MONDAY 9/7

ICELAND | Tuesday, 15 September 2009 | Views [403]

It has been one whole week since I have been in Iceland.  I'm totally loving it here, the food, the people, the landscape, fresh clean air, beautiful natural wonders everywhere.  We went to work today in the barn and loaded a truck up with sacks of barley grain.  
    It has been a little difficult being without communication to the outside world via postal mail and the internet.  I want to chat with my friends online and see what's up with everyone and also to transfer my written journal entires to my online blog.  I did buy a postcard to send to my mother yesterday but I am waiting to send it once I get back to civilization, Reykjavik.  
    After the morning coffee break my group and I set out to the forest to remove the dead trees and drag them to the side for pickup.  It was a cold, foggy and rainy day.  My energy was quickly depleted because the dead trees were covered by grass and trying to peel them out from under the grass uses a lot of energy.  But I just finished lunch, the usual barley gas is kicking up and we go back to work in 15 minutes.  Filippa said we are going to the swimming pools after work by hitchhiking.  I'm getting tired of eating vegetarian food by now.  
    We got the chance to hit the swimming pool today by hitchhiking there and back.  It was fun and the Icelanders are very happy to give you (us) a ride to your destination if you are patient enough to wait for a car to come by.  I hopped into the hot pots when we arrived and played a game in the pool with my camp buddies.  Hot pots are isolated round tubs of hot water around 95+ degrees F.  
    The first car who drove us there was driven by a man who was kind of scary in the face and didn't say much, he had greasy hair and bloodshot eyes.  The man who drove us back home was a lovely Dutch man from Holland who was visiting Iceland on holiday.  We walked for a good mile or so until we reached camp.  
    I must admit that I'm not used to being surrounded by people all the time and I need my alone time to concentrate on music and to reflect.  Is it that selfish? I just want to spend at least one day out of the next 9 days by myself where and when I can work.

 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.