Existing Member?

KPowintheworld

Tintin in Phnom Penh

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 23 March 2014 | Views [1261]

Yep, apparently our friend Tintin was here, hiding from the enemy Khmer Rouge...or so says the tank top I searched high and low to find, and also a few ceramic picture plates they had around at the markets.

Sadly, the Khmer Rouge isn't really just a story rife with exciting action, bad jokes and fortunate coincidences, as I found out at the Killing Fields a $20 tuktuk ride outside the city. I won't give you the details, you need to see it for yourself but definitely the most upsetting place I've ever been in my life. With real testimonials and an alarming amount physical remnants of the genocide...well I think you get the idea. My friend decided to also check out S-21, a former high school turned into a prison but I opted for shopping instead. It may sound shallow but you have to draw the line somewhere and from the details I heard after, I made the right choice.

Phnom Penh itself was alright, another big city, as people told me. It's pretty fun bar-hopping around certain areas, you can find reasonable prices and some interesting characters in the bar staff.

Onward from Phom Penh to Vietnam! We boarded a little minivan early in the morning, eager to get on a boat and cross the border what Lonely Planet deemed "the most scenic route".

PS sorry for lack of photos on Phnom Penh, couldn't bring myself to take any at the killing fields and wasn't too much else that caught my eye!

Tags: big city, tuktuks

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.