Existing Member?

My Treasure Box My tresure box is full of friends who were once strangers, unexpected beauty upon the path and those who travel with me in the suitcase of my heart. These treasures have brought more meaning and beauty into this wonderful life God has given me.

A wooden long boat, the Indian Ocean, 1000s of fish, few passengers and a good book

INDONESIA | Monday, 5 April 2010 | Views [155]

Yesterday morning we left the small family village of Puala Bali, 1 of Puala Banyak's main islands off the NW coast of Sumatra in the beautiful mysterious Indian Ocean.  I was happy to have been there-seeing such an ideal example of simple village life (the 2000 people that lived on this small island said they were one big family) and being able to swim and watch the sun set in the Indian Ocean for the first time.  Yet, I was ready to leave considering the 2004 Tsunami destroyed the island and the people live quite primitively, 95% of them being uneducated fisherman, the sanitation of the island was quite poor, sewage lined the streets and our bed in the losmen for $3 was covered in black mold.  I found myself praying often that we would leave this beautiful place disease free.

We took a wooden long boat back to the mainland, traveling with several other passengers and 1000s of fish, packed tightly into plastic crates upon which we sat and slept upon for the duration of the trip (about 4 hours).

Beside me sat a devote Muslim man who twice during the journey took off his shoes, laid out a piece of blue plastic, folded his sweater up and bent down on his knees to pray, bowing his forehead frequently to the floor and raising his hands up beside him in reverence to our God.  When he finished his face glew and the peace inside of me intensified.

The boat ride was long, but I wish it would have been longer.  The water was perfectly still, reflecting the colors of the clouds and sky and sparkling under the afternoon sun.  The sea breeze was perfect and the smell of fish seemed to fade away. 

Most of the passengers fell asleep, leaving me alone with the ocean and my book.  I'm reading The Musicians and the Servants by Carolyn North who paints a vivid portrait in my mind of what life is like for some of Northern India’s poorest-the servants.  As she poetically writes of her experience there as a nurse India's culture becomes alive in my mind. 

After finishing the first half of the book I set it down and sat on the edge of the boat starring out to a sea that connects me to India-Africa-and out into the wider world and my mind was awakened even more to the diverse world we live in.

The past few weeks in Indonesia have stimulated my mind, painting a beautiful collage before me of a world so different, yet also so much the same.  I have felt that my observations and experiences have shed light onto things I've learned in the past centering around religion, balance, poverty, justice and injustice and finally faith.  Yet at the same time this light has only revealed more questions and a mind awakened, hungry to learn and experience more.

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.