Existing Member?

My Treasure Box My tresure box is full of friends who were once strangers, unexpected beauty upon the path and those who travel with me in the suitcase of my heart. These treasures have brought more meaning and beauty into this wonderful life God has given me.

A world rich in Diversity

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 24 March 2010 | Views [192]

Brian and I spent a few days back in Penang, Malaysia before taking a boat to Sumatra, Indonesia where we are now.  Here is my reflection of Penang.

As we walk down the streets here in Penang I see a world rich in diversity, alive in culture.  I feel that I'm in a place that hasn't been completely demoralized, a place that stands above the sea of modern society.  Where religious traditions and values thrive.  Where cultures live harmoniously beside one another; yet remain vibrant in their own traditions, beliefs and lifestyles.  Yesterday we walked down these streets, tasting food we've never tasted before, experiencing the sensations of colors and smells.  Within a few minutes walk we visited and observed a Mosque, a Buddhist Temple, a Hindu Temple and saw a poster of Jesus plastered on a street lamp.

As the sun was setting the call to Prayer filled the air and Muslims could be seen from every corner of the street heading towards the Mosque.  Moments later we stood in the doorway of a Hindu temple watching the Indians come in, bow their foreheads to the floor in respect as the smoke of inscents and music filled the air.  The next block down was a Buddhist Temple where many of the city's Chinese worshiped, giving offerings of flowers, candles and inscents, to help keep them from worldly attachments and greed and bring onto themselves cleansing and purification (with water) kindness and compassion (with flowers) ethics and morality (with inscents)and freedom from worldly desires such as pride, jealously, greed etc.(with the burning of candles). 

My mind became hungry to understand the passion of these people's hearts, fueled by their religion and my heart burned with fire for my own faith and love for the Lord to be beautifully lived out in my life.

Tags: diversity culture bus ride malaysia hinduism

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.