Existing Member?

The Global Redhead

My Little Costa Rican Adventure

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 9 March 2011 | Views [626]

So I am in Alajuela and the epic adventure that was Costa Rica is coming to an end. God it´s been good. I remember being sat on a bus coming from San Jose International Airport on the way to my hostel. It was dark, I couldn´t see much beyond the lights of the sprawling city, and there were still christmas lights and decorations up in the streets. I remember thinking ¨Crap, I packed too much¨ as I tried to haul my shit up the steps to my dorm room. The next day saw me on a shuttle bus to Monteverde. It was a good trip and the scenery was awesome as we climbed higher and higher into the mountain range. I arrived in the town center and managed to tell the taxi where I needed to go in very broken Spanish. Five minutes later, I was in the Butterfly Gardens being greated by the staff I would be working with for two months and it was great. I´ve met people on this trip who have seriously made impacts on me. I know you can say that about anyone you meet .... well, almost.... but some of these guys have been fantastic.

This country is totally awesome. The weather is about as mixed up as good old blighty, but there is more heat and more sunny days to count! The community up there was great, and there was usually something to occupy you in the evenings. My job was pretty fab too, taking people on tours and educating them in a fun way about butterflys, insects, other creepies and the environment. Also, the tips allowed me to do many of the fun touristy things in the area on my days off. I´ve been hiking in the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, to a sloth sanctury, horseback riding through forest, field and mountain path, I´ve been flying around on the highest and longest zip lines of my life, to a snake center, to a frog garden, quadbiking, motorbiking, a coffee and sugar cane tour, a hummingbird garden, walking and plenty of amazing nights out!

 

There are a fair few people who wil stand out as being highlights of the trip.

 

* Quin - the loudest American I know. One of those people who lights up a place just by being there. This girl had tons of one liners and funny qoutes I found side-splitting! She showed me the ropes at the gardens, was always there to talk to, was open minded and fun, was generally up for nights out and could drink more than me! She may have tried to teach me about ´good beer´and she may have been jittery over creepy crawlies, and she may have moaned a lot over the lack of sex, but I wouldn´t have changed anything! She made my stay awesome, and I really hope to get a visit soon!

* Allan - What can I say. One of the best men I´ve ever met. Looked out for me, had ace nights out together, made my time in Costa Rica awesome. Going to miss him so much, more than I think I can handle.

* Fiona - I have litereally never met such a gross, disturbed, sick minded 18 year old German girl! What an utter blast! She was the biggest drama queen at the gardens and was always up for a laugh! I´m going to miss the model posing, the funny German stories and the jew/sex/baby-in-the-microwave jokes!

* Mauricio - The 17 year old boy trapped in a 37 year old mans body! Barrel of laughs, going to miss the bra pinging, arse slapping, playfights, piggy backs, porn talks, pranks and general debauchery this man caused!! So much fun, except when he was having a temper tantrum ;)

* Marta - hard working Costa Rican business lady with a great talent for cooking and a massive generous streak. The proper mamma of the clan.

* Jim - This is one of the biggest characters I´ve ever met!! My boss at the gardens, full of life, a crazy wicked streak, and a passion for conservation that more people in the world need to adopt.

* Sebastian - So I only knew this Ecuadorian man for a week but he was so crazy and so funny, it´s going to leave a mark! This dude also had the best t-shirts I´ve ever seen and one of those proper spanish accents, loved it!!

* Chris - We hung out with this fella for one night, but it was one of the most fun we had! He taught us some sick dance moves, drank all night with us and if I ever need my eyes sorting out, I´ll know who to call!

 

There are others, James (the beautiful boy from Chester), Julio (the gardener who I often went on bug hunts with), Arthur (the German guitarist from Hyproglow who was scared of our spiders, took 15mins to ask me to the bar and had so many awesome stories to share when we finally went out!), the two American girls I met in my first week who I shared a fab dinner and night out with, the group of hot German girls who me and Fiona played hilarious drinking games with, Frank (my horseback riding tour guide who I saw out several times and always danced with), Tiffany Towers (the ex porn star working in the bar), Juan (the sloth tour guide who let me hold Speedy and came out with us one night), Haner (the barista at the Comman Cup who always gave me the biggest slice of cake and bought me beers), Ken (the coffee shop owner who put on awesome live music jam nights and served a mean cup of coffee) and lots of others I have met briefly who all contributed to a fab experience.

 

After finishing at the gardens, and saying goodbye to friends I will surely see again, I´ve embarked on a little one-woman adventure to a few places in Costa Rica before I had to go home. The heat has been insane (it was 26deg at 5am the morning I got on the bus from Puntarenas to Quepos). I´ve been to many lovely beaches, a fab city and on some awesome day trips including an active volcano, a city zoo, general city sightseeing and a shopping spree! It´s been an experience for sure. So now I am going to sit on the balcony of the bar in my hostel, sipping on a cocktail and watching the sunset over the whole glittering central plains. Totally coming back to this little country.

 

Pura Vida. xxxxx

Sloth Love, Costa Rica

Sloth Love, Costa Rica

Tags: volunteering

About kooju


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.