Existing Member?

The Global Redhead

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 10 March 2012 | Views [487] | Scholarship Entry

We had been stuck in the car for an hour trying to get into the little town of Totnes for late night Christmas shopping. The most frustrating part was the huge bus in front, completely obscuring the view ahead so that we had resort to moaning about imaginary situations as to why we were moving at a snails pace. The minute we arrived in the main street however, the annoyance of the wait had become worth it. Totnes was PACKED. The entire main road was closed off, allowing every street vendor imaginable to set up shop. We walked through the crowds with eyes wide, trying to visually drink in every sight possible. The stalls were stuffed with handmade and unusual art, gifts and wares; metal, wood, felt, jewellerry, silver, antiques, everything! In amongst these stalls, there were also a huge array of carts and tents offering food. All kinds of food. Amazing food that caused me to part with most of my money! My nose was abused by an onslaught of delicious scents. There were cakes, cheese, hog roasts, mulled wine, crepes, roasted chestnuts, soups, breads, olives and sweets. Winding in and out of the moving masses, it was divine to smell everything on offer. Not only were my eyes and nose experiencing sensory overload, my ears were also bombarded. There were street performers of all types dotted sparodically among the gazebos and crowds; Lone singers with their hats out, bands set up on the pavement with a couple of crackly amps, fire jugglers, morris dancers, actors and people playing all manner of instruments, to name but a few. There was even a man with dreadlocks, wearing a tophat and pushing an old cart full of mistletoe up the street. The sounds were coursing through my body and had my feet doing jigs in the street. The atmosphere was electric and I could feel the thick, spontaneous energy buzzing around me. Next week is the final Christmas bonanza in Totnes and I fully recommend it. I will be there again, just for the amazing evening out if nothing else!

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About kooju


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.