Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 55 - Semuc Champey

GUATEMALA | Wednesday, 23 July 2014 | Views [272]

We set off to Semuc Champey & the Kam'ba Caves at around 8.30am.

Arriving at around 9.30am we started out in the cave, walking, swimming & climbing almost 1km into the dark. We had candles to guide us through and it was a pretty amazing experience.

Given the caves go on for at least 18km we had really barely passed the entrance. I'm not sure of be so keen to go right to the end...

Leaving the caves we headed to the river where you could rope swing from the bank. There were a lot of rocks in the water & it didn't seem deep enough to not risk an injury so we passed on that opportunity. Everyone that jumped in said it freaking hurt & one girl dislocated her shoulder when she hit the water.

Evidently sitting out the rope swing was the right choice! We also felt similar about the bridge jump and gave that a miss too.

After a quick lunch stop we hiked up to a view point out over the river pools. Such incredible coloured water surrounding by lush tropical jungle. It was sticky and steamy so we made our way to the water to cool off.

We spent the rest of the afternoon sliding down rocks and mini-waterfalls from pool to pool down the river. So relaxing and refreshing.

Back at the lodge we sat around & had dinner & drinks with some of the girls we met caving. The place is effectively a secluded haven for the 18-21 yo party focused backpacker. It was a bit like bring trapped on a Contiki tour minus the bus. Two nights at Zephyr was more than enough so we booked in for the early shuttle to Flores.

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.