Existing Member?

Viola is out there... Somewhere nce upon a time, in a land not so far away, existed a violist who loved languages and wanted to travel. A lot. When I say a lot it REALLY means a LOT. So, she left the country a couple of times. Her last stopover is Dubai and soon she will fly away... ag

To adventuring under the stars

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Wednesday, 2 July 2008 | Views [620]

 Dunne Dinner was by far the most interesting safari I’ve been so far.

It was much more comfortable than travelling by buggy in Genipabu Dunes in Natal, where the sun and sand hit your face and you could stretch your hand and touch the waves on the wild empty beaches of the region

We are in comfy 4x4 Ford cars weighting almost eight tons, which run up and down the reddish dunes in the desert like little tanks.

Facing for more than half an hour the dunes gives you a healthy dose of respect for the Bedouins that for centuries lived in this harsh land, wandering through the hot sands with their caravans heavy with goods from one oasis to another.

Walking in the sands is equivalent to walk in wet cement. The moment you put your feet in it, it sinks… and it is very hard to get your feet out of it. Each step is a struggle.

If you are not fit, which is my case unfortunately, you will feel out of breath after walking very few meters.

After several minutes of Dune Bashing, doing some acrobacies that kind of defied gravity (and my queasy stomach), we reached the camel market.

There several dromedaries were chewing their food and gazing placidly to the noisy bunch of tourists taking pictures of them.

But the best feature of the camp was the small tent where a Bedouin was with a falcon. Yep, the real thing. I even got a picture with the birdie.

We were the last car of the 40 in the tour, so if any car got stuck we would rescue them. However, as the Australian lady in our car graciously asked “ if we get stuck, who is going to rescue us?”

They had a huge Brazilian group there, so we sat together and had a lot of fun. I had my first ever henna tattoo in my arm and leg and laughed like a hyena while the Brazilians, who were in their majority elderly people shaking their booty with the belly dancing chick – which I later on found out that was from Russia.

After dinner, all lights were turned off and we had some minutes alone with the skies and the stars.

Then the night was over.

Tags: desert safari, dubai

 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.