Existing Member?

Keren and her Ramblings

The Itch makes me smile.

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 8 September 2012 | Views [174]

It's Saturday today which is market day.   Therefore we went to market.   It was in this little town/community called Agua Santa and it was brilliant.   Very small but it seemed to function really well and I just loved being there and experiencing it.   There were a few huts which represented the supermarkets and a couple of food and all sorts stalls.   I had my first empanade which is kind of like a pastry but more deep fried.    You are 'meant' to put sugar on it but I decided that maybe sugar and cheese wasn't a good mix.   Perhaps next time I will try it just to see what the fuss is about.
Yesterday I want to the watering hole with Frank, Bronte and Kelly.   This is where you can go for a swim and it was much needed as it was so hot.   I have to say I was a little nervous at first as the water was completely brown and I knew that I wouldn't be able to see my feet or what was swimming around me (wanting to get me).   My main concern was snakes, Cayman and electric eels.   But once I was in it was amazing, it felt so good to be in dunked in the water, however there was a strange layering system in the water.   In fact not that strange, quite the opposite as in logical...it was hot on the top surface (sun heating) and really cold at the bottom (lack of sun heating).    Then what happened was a gust of wind (I promise this story is to get better) and just after the wind Frank (the jungle man) said a storm is coming and 20seconds later it started to rain loads and thunder and lightning.    Nothing better than swimming outdoors in the rain.    On hind sight maybe the story didn't get better, just a little bit of information for you.Last night I had my first expereince of Bat net misting, this is where wer=nt went out to this known bat tunnel and wait pateintly for a bat to fly out into a net, its amazing the amount who can see the net in pitch darkness, their eyesight is brillaint.    But after we had caught about 6 we had to ID them all which entailed weighing them and measuring them, this was really interesting to do.   After this is done we had to find them in the book of Bats which was hilarious because there are so so many rather odd looking bats.   Their wings are incredible and feel amazing, along with their fur...another brilliant experience.

Tonight I will be going out with Frank for a night walk to the Laguna   Apparently it's a really gorgeous spot and you can see loads of frogs.   I can't wait for this next adventure!   He said we will probably be out for about 6 hours as it's a long walk in and back.   I actually feel slightly nervous, I think its a nervous feeling due to the worry of my body failing (ie. not fit enough).   I got it a few times in Wales before climbing and walking up mountains.   I think its a worry of not being able to complete something and being stranded, a burden on someone else.    I think its most probably just adrenaline...
I'm chilling in the hammock again, I find it so comfy and relaxing my lounge should be just hammocks.   Perhaps the option of a cushion on the floor?   The food for dinner is currently being cooked and I am feeling pretty lazy but I have offered my hands and they said not to worry so I shall do so.    No worries, just laying back, relaxing reading my 10years old sisters book 'I, Coriander' (very much enjoying the magic of it.
Ok I'm going to be off now to relax and read.   The jungle is so noisily peaceful.    I think it's the life of living outdoors.So many itchy mosquito bites, it makes me really feel like a jungle explorer ha.

About keren


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.