Existing Member?

Keren and her Ramblings

Jungle times.

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 7 September 2012 | Views [227]

I am sat/lounged in a red and blue stripey hammock (not entirely sure how you spell that?) hanging from the hut and over looking this gorgeous jungle.   I woke up at %:15 to go for some breakfast with the birds.   We went on a short walk to find the perfect bird watching ledge and gazed (in a quick alert fashion) at the trees.   I saw loads of birds and I am struggling  with all the names but we saw two white fronted Toucans and two different types of Parrots.   I saw lots of (now this is where I spell it wrong!) Keseets and something beginning with O. Ha. The bird calls were amazing and it feels really good when you can start to recognize them.   One of the calls sounds just like a water droplet falling.
So I have had a really nice start to the day, granola and bird watching.   Oh and the attempt of knocking a lemon off the lemon tree.
Not sure what lies ahead for today but I am feeling very relaxed.   The noise here has that persistent 'jungle' sound.   The accumulation of all the animal sounds is very comforting.
Yesterday was my first day here and it was incredible, I never even dreamed of being able to do something like this.   I arrived at 10:30am ish and Frank met me off the bus and it was so nice to see him.   He's great company.   I then joined the rest the rest of the group for their morning snack (popcorn that particular day-having plantation chips today.)   Everyone is so nice and really really friendly and down to earth.   I jumped in straight away and joined Rosies presentation on Dung Beatles   We went for a walk and had to do this experiment to catch and examine some Dung Beatles.   We will go back to see what we caught at 10:30 today.
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the inhumane catching but it's not something that they really do here.
Anyway after that Frank gave me a tour and I had to read some stuff.   Then we went on Franks butterfly survey which was brilliant!   We went for a walk and had to check all the nets and note down what we found and at what distance from the road.   The butterflies are absolutely stunning.   The variations you can get are just unbeleivable.   The walk in and out was great I just kept looking around in sheer shock to where I was.
Later in the evening we went on a night stream walk and it was incredible.   You just got completely soaked and walk all the way upstream.   Saw loads of frogs and I caught one 'something somthing buckeyed' or something like that.  I also had a tail-less whip Scorpio crawling around my face because its apparently something that you are meant to do if you find one...put in on your face (this was a photo importunity).   I saw a few birds, a king fisher was one of them.   We saw two of the most dangerous snake in South America and it goes by the name of Ferdalance.   AND we saw a Jaguar, it was staring at us 15metres away with its bright reflecting green eyes.   It moved its head in a circle which is a known cat like movement for them.    I just can't actually believe what I am experiencing, I feel so privileged.

About keren


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.