Existing Member?

Keren and her Ramblings

On a bus on some bendy roads,

ECUADOR | Thursday, 6 September 2012 | Views [251]

Hola!

Im on another bus and this one is going from Tena to Agua Santa and my gosh are the roads bendy.   I don't think the bus has steered straight for more than 2 metres.

I am actually so happily satisfied and full of acheivement right now.   This morning I had a slight movie scene and it all came about by my having to catch this bus 'Jumandy' at 5:30am.   I was out of my room ready to check out at 4:50am and ws told someone would be on reception to call me a taxi...obviously this was not that simple...

I got to recpetion (a hut) and I was greeted a flickering television and that alone.   So my ears were filled with some Spanish soap conversation and tons of exotic animal noises (and a cockeral).   I thought I will just leave my money and key behind the desk and walk to the bus station.    Only to realise that all the gates were locked!!   I was locked in and getting a wave of the panic sweats.   Not really sure what to do?   Eventually, after what felt forever trying to think of a new smart plan, a boy came into reception looking very very tired.   He tried to sort me out a taxi and failed a few times but finally got one for 15minutes time which left me the grand total of 1 minute to catch my bus.   I agreed in absolute faith and hope it would work out.    In what I am sure was terrible Spanish ( im sure it was bad because I got the non-commital, distant and mumbled 'si' response)if the bus would wait and that if i missed it would he wait a few minutes incase I needed to return.   He agreed, I think...
I then started to think if I missed this bus what would I do?   Would I get the later one and hope that Frank would guess the new plan and still wait for me in the middle of the dirt track road to stop the bus?    This is about the time when I realised just how optimistic this plan was.   So I decided to stay with theoptimistic theme and try out a friends tactics.   Visucalisation.
Originally he told me to imagine and visualise completing a climbing route had I figured I could do the same for getting on the bus.   SO there I was standing in the middle of the road waiting for this taxi seeing myself getting on the bus.
The taxi turned up and the driver was very friendly.   Now this is where his friendliness was tested as when we arrived at the bus station he called out to a lady to ask about the 'Jumandy' bus to Agua Santa and she said it had just left!
The taxi driver without thought swung his car around and went straight after it.    It was a mad exciting chase with a lot of car hoosting and lights flashing and eventually the taxi overtook and pulled striaght in front of the bus.   The bus stopped in the middle of the road and the assistant driver ran across, picked up my luggage and hearded me onto the bus.   However during my hearding I dropped my passport so had to run back to grab it before sitting down on the bus feeling so happy.
Anyway so now I am on the bus and have been for the last two and a half hours.   Only another two to go.   It's amazing how regularly people jump on and off the bus.   Quite literally, the bus doesn't seem to stop.   People have to just jump on although aledgedly they do stop for woman and children.
I've had a few different people all sat next to me.   The first man liked to talk, alot, in Spanish so I could pracitice my pretending to be Spanish.   He said a nice good-bye and shook my hand which made me smile.   Second man was a little weird and a bit starry but he didn't ride the bus for that long and now I have a shy lady with a very cute little girl who keeps wanting to play with my pen.
So far the journey has been great.   I love looking out the window and seeing the amazon interspersed with little villages made out of makeshift materials.Thui

 

About keren


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.