Existing Member?

Keren and her Ramblings

The first 3 days...

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 5 September 2012 | Views [333]

Day 1/2ish

So it has started and I can certainly title this travelling.   I am on my second day of planes and flights and man do I feel strange.    Airports can have so many different energies depending on time but also massively on country.    I had my first experience of the American Immigration and that procedure felt long however I have to say I did get quite swept up with all the loud  instructions and the authorities.   I actually got called Ma'am twice!
Im now in Peru, Lima Airport, waiting and hoping that my bag is being put on my next plane and I am actually booked onto it...these things can go wrong.    My body clock is all over the place, its currently 5:20am here but my body is still in English time 11:20am does that mean I can have lunch soon?   Or maybe I will just have lunch in a breakfasty fashion so I can say i'm acclimatizing and converting my body clock.
I don't really have to much to report now, I haven't stepped outside for awhile and am just getting really excited to get seeing and exploring.    One bad note, my phones not working!    I will get this fixed, I just need to contact o2 and ask 'whats going on?'.   But on a good note during my 9hour flight from London Heathrow to Miami I had a row of three seats to myself :)

Over and out for now xx

Day 2

I have just spent 2hours with a group of people waiting for the Taca Airline information desk to open, I thought I was being really clever and had fooled everyone that I was South American and I understood everything they were saying.    I laughed in all the right places and matched the facial expressions with the flow of the conversation but then I got caught out with a question being thrown at me.    I freaked out somewhat and any Spanish that I do know just frittered away and I was left with the awful phrase "Sorry I'm English".    You see everyone kind of sigh and give each other an 'of course nod'.   Talking of the words 'of course' it was one of the phrases that I could say I have got down like a pro in Spanish 'Claro'.
I'm now just waiting to hear the very welcome information that my luggage has followed me this far and that it is in-line to be put on my next couple of flights.
P.S I made my first mistake...went into the toilets and decided that I really wanted to brush my teeth (you know the feeling).   So I did, I went ahead with the task in hand only to realise after that I was using tap water, maybe dodgy tap water?   How on the ball are you meant to be with these things?   Im sure a bit of water on the tongue isn't to lethal, we shall see.
Ok I'm going to go and do more airport exploring, adios!

Day 3

Hello and welcome to my Wednesday.

So what happened today?   Well I had my first morning of waking up in a hostel in Ecuador and I have to day it went rather well.   Had an interesting shower which involved being covered by a square piece of wood (the door) which covered the essentials.    But have you ever seen this, its actually rather entertaining just watching someones head and feet as the wash (not in a pervy way).
I then had the typical hostel breakfast...toast and jam with a couple of mugs of coffee to get you going.   Oh and the random conversations you can strike up with your fellow travellers to add a sprinkle to breakfast.
On a side note not sure if these blogs are really making much sense I'm going to blame it on my amateur writing skills and lack of normal activity so far ha.
I have to say I have been feeling rather extravagant with all the taxis I have already taken.   I reckon back home in England I could count the amount of times I took a taxi on one finger.   Here tho is a different story, basically if you have a massive back pack ('a massive object saying i'm travelling and don't know this place')then its just not really the safest bet to get on a bus or walk for hours with dodgy map skills.
Ironically my 45minute taxi ride cost double the amount of my 5hour bus ride.    The bus ride was so cheap it only cost $6, can't really go wrong with that.    The people at the bus station today were perhaps the most friendly and helpful strangers I have met in a long time.   I have to admit I did keep getting pointed in completely opposite directions, back and forth from the ticket office but they all seemed to reach the final decision unanimously as my bus pulled up they all shouted and called and pointed and helped me get on the bus.   A very helpful bunch of people!
The bus ride was interesting.   We seemed to vary from snail pace to dang right crazy speed.   Although it was only crazy as we were going around constant hair pin corners.    The route was absolutely stunning, all the way through the mountains and up into the clouds and then to drop down into the out skirts of the amazon.   Gorgeous.
I'm now in Tena which is a place in the Napo Province.   This is my stop before I jump on a bus to meet a friend who will take me into the jungle for a few days.   I never thought I would say that sentence.   Tena seems nice, I had a little wonder to soak some of it up.   Although primarily I needed to buy a phone that would work, I found a really nice old lady who helped me get one sorted.   I had to flex some of my Spanish skills as she no hable inglese (that's spelt in phonetic Spanish because I don't have any writing skills).   We even managed to converse so I could ask her to translate the phone so it was in English.   However I know realise that this may be a bit of a pain for her...she didn't take card payment so I went on a little whole in the wall mission but it promptly started to rain and it rained amazingly.    Got absolutely drenched, didn't find the ATM and then had to try and explain that I was going into the jungle so I didn't need a phone now but I will pick it up next week on my way through.   She answered yes thank you.   I hope she understood, the thing is with being a novice Spanish speaking you can be as sure as you like about what your saying but that doesn't mean you right.
Lets hope my Spanish improves.

I'm going to be off now and wont be writing anything whilst i'm in the jungle but will update when i'm out.

 

About keren


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.