Existing Member?

AdventurSpirit Travel memories fade fast if not recorded. This is an account of my travels - and adventure spirit...

Ibiza - Party Capital of the World; Lives up to its reputation......

SPAIN | Sunday, 29 June 2008 | Views [3115]

Freaking air travel. We left mum’s in Singapore at 9pm Singapore time. Flight left at 11.05pm Singapore time. 13hrs later we landed in London Heathrow and proceeded to the transfer lounge for our Barcelona flight that was leaving 2 hrs later. When we arrived at Barcelona, a 5hr wait till the domestic Ibiza flight was scheduled. Which was just as well, because BA decided to leave Priss’s luggage in London, which apparently was coming on the next flight London-Barcelona. So while we waited at the airport, we were thanking our lucky stars that the stopover was 5hours. PHEW!!! We had arrived in Barcelona at 10.15am local time… it wasn’t till 1pm that we got Priss’s luggage back and our Barcelona-Ibiza flight on clickair (budget airline of course!) left at late at 3.45pm. From Ibiza Airport, we caught a bus into town (EUR1.50 each CHEAP!!) and by the time we checked in, we’d been on the road for 28hrs. At the doorstep of the hotel was Ses Figuerates (beach). We were starving so we just went to the nearest pizza joint and had a pizza and a pasta. It was not nice at all!!! After the yummy feed we experienced in Singapore, the food was appalling. The beer “Estrella” which is a local Spanish brew, went down really well – but it did put me to sleep. Woke up to a racket outside, cars hooning down the street and honking… Me and Priss woke up thinking these Ibizans are crazy people – are they waking people to go to clubs??? Weird! (Later the next day we found out it’s because Spain got into the Euro2008 finals). So we got ready and headed out to town. Walking through the streets, it was dead… Priss attracted the fancy of a local drunken young man who insisted on taking her to a party. He announced that he needed to pee, and we quickly hurried away as he was doing his no.1… Down at the Marina, we popped into a pizza place again for a quick feed. Found out from one of the girls at the joint that they sell pre-sale tickets cheap to the various clubs.  The girl suggested we go to Space (pre-sale €15 vs at the door €30), which was supposedly a 5min cab ride away (about €5), but the darn taxi driver took us the long way and €15! Ripped off!!!! When we finally get to space, it was dead… probably because it was a Thursday. The music was fantastic, but with only the main room open, in a couple of hours, we called it a night – not before we spent €50 on alcohol!!! As we headed outside to get on home, we didn’t have a map for the area we were at – Platja d’en Bossa and basically been asking strangers for directions. Later one a couple of locals – a black guy and a very very pretty Spanish girl wandered out of Space and offered us a ride back to our hotel. She didn’t speak any English, but she looked really kind. We gratefully accepted and back at the hotel, we crashed. It was 3am.

The next day, got up at 8.30am for breakfast – ham cheese on bread and a hard boiled egg. I was so hungry, I couldn’t care less what I was being fed. The view from the table we sat at distracted me from the less than desirable breakfast. Back upstairs, we had a bit of a nap and headed out to wander around. We got to the Correos (post office) where Priss made a couple of phone calls to her mum and to Alex. I bought some stamps for our postcards to send back home. Wandering down Avinguda D’Isidor Macabich, walking to the centre of town, we stopped by some shops to have a looksee. Priss bought a few items, I bought a Tiffany’s rippoff ring (€3.95) which was too big for me, but thought that it would be a good idea to wear an engagement ring (since I AM officially engaged) and a red dress. We also wandered into a supermarket and bought some cheap local Ibiza shots called Hierbas Ibicencas which we had the night before at Space. It tastes like licorice liquere quite pleasant in small doses. Not that good in large quantities (as Priss later found out that night). We stopped by a tapas bar recommended by the lonely planet. After a few plates of tapas, we headed back to the hotel and lazed about on the beach. We were wondering why not all the beach chairs were taken until a very fat unattractive man came up to us and said “€15 for 2”. Priss gave him a look and said “no thanks!” and I quietly whispered to her that he’s asking us to pay for using the beach chairs. Wooops! Now we know! Grab a piece of sand tomorrow… =) since we paid, we decided to sleep there for awhile. It was getting a little bit chilly by 7pm, so we headed back to the hotel where we had a bit more siesta (do as the Ibizians do!). We woke up again late, almost 10pm and got ready to go out. Again wandering out to the centre of town, being Friday, there was a bit more activity happening – even then we struggled to find a place for food as it was pushing midnight and most of the resturants had closed the kitchen. Luckily we found a place in the centre of town, and we had more tapas and beer, and with us brought our Hierbas. Back at the Riambua Sa Creu where we bought tickets the last time, we asked around again for a good party. Apparantly Priviledge was having a huge opening party for their new night Supermartxe, so we caught the discobus to Priviledge. Big huge line outside the venue. A black man came up to Parisa and introduced himself. "Hi" he said, in his southern american accent "I'm Jonanthon from Virginai Texas." he says tipsy and smelling of alcohol. "You're pretty as fuck..." he says directly to Priss. We both looked at each other - what da??? Anyway.... It was a MAD party. The music was fantastic… People everywhere – there were performers in costumes and cross dressing performers singing on stage. At one stage, there was a light and laser show which was totally awesome. Unfortunately, Priss had a bit too much Hierbas and felt sick with a shocking headache. Poor girl felt so horrible. We took the offer of a €20 cab ride (private taxi) home, stopping a couple of times along the way for her to throw up… Poor thing!!!! Another late night – 3am back home.

Up again the next day at 9am, I wandered downstairs for my breakfast. Again hungry as anything had 2 eggs this time. Stole some food back up for Priss for when she felt a bit better to eat. I dozed off again here and there and about midday, we decided to head into town again for proper food. Facing the Passeig Vara de Rei was a lonely planet recommended restaurant Ca N’Alfredo. The white wine was very nice, though the Paella could be better (I felt). Anyways, we ate and went back to the hotel. I hopped on the net for a little bit while Priss snoozed away. She looked so peaceful and she was saying that she still had a niggling headache, so I wandered out to the beach to get some sun. I must have fallen asleep on the beach for quite some time, Priss came up to me at about 7pm on the beach. We decided that we’ll try to get out a bit earlier this time. We headed out to again to town centre where we had more tapas and Sangria blanco (sangria made with white wine). Back on Riambau Sa Creu, we got some tickets to Pasha (€35) on recommendation from friends back home. We walked to Pasha only to find that at 5 mins to midnight, it was still shut!!! There were a few people waiting outside to get in but because Priss was busting to go, we decided to head back and try to change our tickets to Space as a local we ran into on the bus the night before while going to Priviledge mentioned another opening party for Space Mantinee. So we swapped our tickets and caught the discobus to Platja d’en Bossa and was again at Space. This time Space was packed. There were so many people there it was packed – cant even get onto the main dance floor. I didn’t quite enjoy it this time – perhaps the third night onto duff duff music was a bit too much for my old ears to bear. The highlight for me on this night – believe it or not – was seeing a deep red brand new BMW X6 parked right outside in the “reserved parking” carspot. Woooo… dream car. By 4am, both Priss and I were beat. Took the discobus back to Figuerates and crashed into bed.

 

Up breakfast time again, today they had chicken loaf (which I had grown to love) and orange juice. Decided that I should visit Dalt Vila which is the old fort of Ibiza. Priss was having problems recharging her optus prepaid card and had to make a few phonecalls, so I went ahead – seeing that it’s the last day and I don’t have much time to explore. Unfortunately, by the time I got to Dalt Vila, it was siesta time, and all the exhibits were shut. Still I had a good old wander around and took some really nice pics. Met a Brazillian Techno DJ in the old village who asked if he can keep me company while exploring in return he would like for us to speak English. He seemed harmless enough and there were lots of tourists wandering around, so I thought why not. He had been in Ibiza for just over 3 weeks, looking for a gig. It’s a very competitive market there, as many DJs use Ibiza as a platform to launch their careers. He tells me that the same gig he plays in Berlin he would be paid €500 they are only offering him €50 for the night. He was pretty harmless, though he did ask if I wanted to join him at a “private beach” that he was heading to, and then asking if I wanted to see the place he was sharing with his roommate – as it was an old converted medival castle of some sort. Nice try buddy – I’m engaged. Before we parted ways, he did ask again if I wanted to go to the beach – cant fault him for trying! So I went off my merry way and by accident walked right into Croissant Place (featured in the lonely planet) which Priss and I have been trying to get to. Bought a couple of croissants from there and headed back to the hotel. Since we had a bit more time, we hung at the hotel until it was time to leave (giving me some time to update Facebook and have a chat with a couple of friends). Then it was on the bus to the Marina to catch our 9pm ferry ride to Barcelona. Bye bye Ibiza!!!! Its been way too hot and my ears needed a break from duff duff… duff duff… duff duff… urgh.

Ibiza - SuperMartXe opening party

Ibiza - SuperMartXe opening party

Tags: laughter, party time

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.