Existing Member?

AdventurSpirit Travel memories fade fast if not recorded. This is an account of my travels - and adventure spirit...

Kuranda Skyrail

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 3 November 2007 | Views [1484]

Got up pretty early at 8.30am expecting to go pickup the car at 9am. Was dressed and waited for Vinny to turn over. It was not until 10am before we got dressed and went out. Martin and Julie were still asleep so we went to Hertz to pickup the car and went to the National Parks authority to see whether there were walks that we can attempt today. Got lots of brochures and the guide there highly recommended Crystal Cascades swimming holes - mental note to visit there. Martin and Julie called while I was at the National Parks office. Met up with them at the corner cafe for some breakfast. Yummy ham cheeze and tomato croissant... hmmm.

We thought we should go for the Kuranda Skyrail experience, since we have been recommended by a few people to check it out. Went back to Dr Tours to book the tickets. Wooops... we took our time to get up, last skyrail cable car would leave Kuranda at 3.45pm and it was already past midday! Quickly bought the tickets, raced home to grab our cameras, water bottles etc the car and off we went again.

30mins later, we were at the Skyrail station. Caught the cable car up to Baron Falls station - wheres the falls? Because it is dry season, there was hardly any rainfall and hence the falls is quite dry... more like a trickle... heh heh.... 1st time visiting a compost toilet... ewwww.... that's an experience. Yeeek!

Off to the top of Kuranda highland town. Not sure if this is considered altitude since it has only been less than 24hrs since our last dive??? Too late now that we're here!

Caught the free shuttle to the top of Kuranda Town - township of only 5000. The shops are bustling - lots of tourist (it being their ONLY economy there). We went through the Kuranda Market - decided against visiting the Butterfly Park, Koala Park and other places of interest due to lack of time (or was it lack of interest?). On the way down we had homemade ice cream and you'll never guess that the guy running the oldest homemade ice cream shop used to be a Melbourne Boy... and schooled in Hyde Street Footscray no doubt!! Talk about a small world... sheese.... down down down we go, down the main street. Stopped by the Honey House for some honey souveniors. By the time we got back down to the Kuranda Skyrail station and caught the cable car back down it was past 3pm. This time we stopped by the Red Peak station and took a 10 min boardwalk around. Didnt want to miss the last cable car so we took the next cable car back down to the carpark. Goodbye Kuranda!

Back at the hotel, took a nap before deciding on going to Tides (Shangri-la in-house resturant). The food was not that good... even with the 50% discount - not worth it! Took a walk down to the main street to Global Gossip's $1/hr internet (to facebook of course!) and booked a car for the next day so that we're mobile. After dinner, back to the hotel. Back to sleep. Good night. Back in the water tomorrow.... yipee!

Kuranda Skyrail Station

Kuranda Skyrail Station

Tags: Mountains

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.