Existing Member?

Exploring the World

The end of week one

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 5 August 2012 | Views [369]

I can’t believe I’ve been in this big city for a whole week already. It’s been a really fun week playing tourist capped off with an Olympic themed boat party! What a blast.

Friday was a brilliant day spent with the lovely Kate heading out to Greenwich Arena for the Mens Trampolining event of the London Olympics 2012. It was so esxciting to be a part of it and just soak it all up, must say I'm now quiet a fan of mens trampolining. The emotion that the athletes go through on the day of their event is just monumental and irrespective of what country they are everyone seems to really invest and wants all competitors to do well, it was such a cool atmosphere. Olympics...tick.

There is just always something happening and Friday night was testament to that, Kate and I ended up having a few ciders in this really funky little carnival, going on rides and capped the night off with the most bizzare cabaret show...all spur of the moment but so much fun!

Last night Candice, Henry & I joined around a hundred other Kiwis, Aussies and Brits on board a boat cruising on the River Thames for four hours with copious amounts of booze.Turns out the world isn't so big though, I bumped into a friend from Primary school on board, crazy! It still blows my mind when I look up and suddenly there’s the Big Ben or the London Tower! Photos to come. After consuming far more than one should on any given night we headed back to Candice’s in one of those black cabs you see on the TV...another thing to tick off the list.

One thing I have noticed is that due to all the travel time on the tube I’m getting mal de debarquement syndrome a little – where you feel like you’re moving even though you aren’t. To give you an idea, it takes me an hour to get to Candice’s, 45 minutes to get to work, 40 minutes to the centre of town so all up I spend a lot of my life on the tube. I need to invest in a seriously good book I think. And I now completely understand how people can fall asleep at the end of the night and go right to the last stop...watch this space it’ll happen one day I’m sure.

Yesterday was the first time I’ve been around shops while I’ve been here, Candice and I had to go costume shopping and wow have I found some great shops! Primark – the super cheap version of Glassons, Poundland (no it’s not dirty!) – where everything is £1 and they have everything from house ware, children’s toys, brand name beauty products and more. These are my two new faves! Once I get a big of coin in my pocket I’ll be back there!

In the meantime I’m off to the supermarket to play the fun game of how cheap can I make my foodbill! I love buying things less then £1, you feel like such a good budgeter...and until I start working properly I need to play this game a lot. Also need to invest in an umbrella quickly, weather here changes every 2 minutes and its extremes. This morning for example, rain/thunder/lightning by the time I got home it was sunny and freaking hot!

I’ve uploaded a few more photos and will add some of the costume party once I nab them.

Stay safe!

KB.

About kbradnock


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.