Existing Member?

Kayley's Adventures This page is for everyone out there who knows and loves me and wants to know everything that I'm up to. Of course I can't promise I'll put in ALL the details but I'll try my hardest!

Munich

GERMANY | Thursday, 24 January 2008 | Views [429]

got to munich quite late on the sunday night and headed to our hostel which seemed pretty good until we realised there were a 2 freaky guys sharing the room with us. of course knowing me i was a bit freaked out but there were eventually harmless and we survived the night which was good.

our first day in munich as fantastic. we went to the city centre, marienplatz, and met for our free walking tour. the weather was freezing which was a bummer but the walk was incredible. there was so much history in munich! we saw the glockenspiel, the room where Hitler and Goebbels met on the night of Kristallnacht, Dodger's Alley where the German people walked up to avoid saluting a Nazi memorial during the war, the main church, the bier house, maximillian strasse where the most incredible shops and cars were and the opera house.

i then caught the train to olymnpia-zentrum station where the munich olympic stadium is and the BMW headquarters. the BMW museam was closed so i went into the welt which was basically a showroom with the most beutiful cars and all this information and interactive stuff to do with the engineering of the cars. most of it went over my head but it was cool.

got myself completely lost in the city and eventually found hofbrauhaus, the beer house, and lucy, anna and i sat down for a typical german meal with a stein of beer (thats a whole litre of beer!)

the next day was incredible. we caught the train and had a tour of Dachau, the first concentration camp in Germany where they held prisoners of war, Jews and anyone who opposed the Nazi regime. The mood was eerie but the information and what we saw was absolutely moving. I think the details are better left to be told in person.

really loved Munich as a city and was sad to be leaving Germany :(

Tags: Adventures

About kayley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.