Existing Member?

Turning 30 South American Style With the dreaded 30th birthday looming, I ran away to South America to celebrate the landmark birthday in style.

San Ignacio Mini and Posadas

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 19 March 2008 | Views [1381]

Another marathon bus journey saw us take 36 hours from Puerto Madryn to Posadas, the capital city of Misiones at the very top of Argentina. The luxury travel, three course meals and bar service eluded us yet again and we were offered only a ham sandwich each during the whole 36 hours. Posadas was nice enough though, a pleasant little town by the river with views over to Paraguay. The local supermarket (California) had the most amazing hot food buffet and we stuffed ourselves, far nicer than most restaurants in the whole country actually. No other reason to stay there though and the mosquitoes are ferocious. We headed off to San Ignacio Mini after a day's recovery which is a lovely UNESCO Jesuit Mission ruin 200km south of the Iguazu falls. It was a nice place to visit, had the feeling of Angkor about it with the jungle creeping back to reclaim the ruins, although not quite so impressive. Really interesting history though about how the Jesuits learned the local language and they all managed to live together quite happily, despite their differences. We saw it during the day and went back at night to see the sound and vision show which was lovely and really quite tasteful. They projected a coloured light onto the red stone church facade which picked up all the stone detail really nicely. The guide was a bit grumpy though, but that aside it was very nice and everybody has an off day. We did add an extra day on to because the place we were staying was so lovely, a little German cabana bunk that was only 40 pesos, well cheap. And the restaurant across from the ruins was also stupidly cheap and really nice. Two thumbs up.

Tags: argentina, heritage, iguazu, jesuit mission, misiones, paraguay, posadas, restaurant, san ignacio, unesco

About katrinamckeever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.