Existing Member?

Turning 30 South American Style With the dreaded 30th birthday looming, I ran away to South America to celebrate the landmark birthday in style.

Sunny San Telmo

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 6 December 2007 | Views [2286]

OK, OK, so I know I shouldn´t rub it in, but it is three weeks to Christmas and Steve and I are wandering the steamy tango inspired streets of San Telmo in flip flops and t'shirts. Yeah, I love this country.

We have come down in the world slightly since the two mums left for England. Gone is the three bedroomed down town high ceilinged apartment with chandeleirs.

Instead we are now living in basement studio flat in Sanm Telmo, but it has cable, with almost every Premiere League match screened live so it almost like being at home again. We have barely left the flat in a week, save to visit the supermerkat down the road for more beers (only 30p if you remeber to return the bottle) or the cake shop next door for more cake selections (50p for six cakes). Life is good.

We moved in on Sunday and headed straight out onto the packed streets which were crowded with market stalls selling handicrafts, paintings, antiques and other such junk. All just yards from out front door. And every five yards there was a Guillemots style band on the street, with pianos, accordians and strings, but all of them played the Tango. Considered asking them to try a Prodigy tune but couldn´t work up enough Spanish words between us' will save that highly funny joke for next week. Don´t want to use up all our fun tokens at once.

We are hoping to start a Spanish class next week, it´s a funky one where you learn the langage by walking the streets in a group and actualy order beers and get on buses to go sight seeing so should be fun. Will be good to get out there and try and meet people - Steve says we need a full on posse R and B style in time for Christmas.

But that´s enough for now. Oh, and did I mention it was hot here?

Tags: argentina, buenos aires, latin america, markets, san telmo, soanish lessons., south america, tango

About katrinamckeever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.