Existing Member?

Turning 30 South American Style With the dreaded 30th birthday looming, I ran away to South America to celebrate the landmark birthday in style.

Getting the hang of Buenos Aires now

ARGENTINA | Friday, 23 November 2007 | Views [731]

Think we are finally getting the hang of this city now, even the mums have been hurrying along in the metro, shooing the elderly and infirm out of their way as they rush to the next souvenir store.
In two short weeks, we have scraped the surface of pretty much all the tourist traps in the inner city in varying degrees of style and it has all been great.
We've had a revving afternoon on pony and trap touring the parks of Palermo, relaxed in the shade with a refreshing beer watching a couple dance the tango in San Telmo and even bought the mums to La Boca to see the home of Boca Juniors. Steve spent much of that afternoon waving his hand in front of statues of Diego Maradonna in a Hand of God pose. There were lots of statues of Diego Maradonna in Boca.
Our Argentinian Friend even took us on a day trip to Tigre to look at the clapboard boats, massive craft market and drink Mate. It tastes horrible, like a tea bag split open in a tepid cup of tea which you have been using as an ashtray. But when in Rome eh.
Took the mums across to Colonia in Uruguay for a change of pace yesterday and they loved it. Polite people everywhere, clean streets, sea views, slow walking on empty roads, pretty cafes, cobbled streets, beautiful flowering trees and birds singing. But perfection gets boring after a bit I reckon, give me a slum town with a good bar any day.
Just one day left until the dreaded 30 but have decided to postpone celebrations proper until the mums leave on Sunday. Instead will spend my birthday on a bus to Gaucho country to see the handsome cowboys and the watch the Tango at Cafe Tortoni.

Have got loads of pictures of the city centre skyline at night, Mate drinking mums and Steve before and after shaving off six months worth of facial hair but can't use the USB connection on this computer so you will just have to wait.
Until next time then.......

Tags: argentina, buenos aires, colonia, diego maradonna, downtown, family, la boca, palermo, san telmo, tigre

About katrinamckeever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.