Existing Member?

Elective Adventure

7. Time flies...

USA | Friday, 22 January 2010 | Views [470] | Comments [2]

Time is flying! I can't believe today is Friday of my 3rd week here. I only have 1 week of Ob/Gyn left, then I begin on radiology... and this is the part of the trip filled with visitors. Yay!

Ob/Gyn started out so tough, but seems to be ending up very cruisy. I have been with the outpatient clinic again this week, and now that the residents here know me, I'm getting to do alot more procedures. Wednesday mornings there are no clinics, so I had a nice sleep in then, and I turned up this morning, only to be told that clinics start at 1pm. Nice! So I've walked home, am writing a journal entry, and plan to head back out with my camera on a shooting frenzy, all before an afternoon of 'work'.

Wednesday night I organised with a group of friends to see a theatre performance of Venus in Fur at the cute theatre just near me, Classic Stage Company. It was phenomenal! The actors were sooo good, and the play, which lasted for 90mins, was so engaging. The male actor was Wes Bently, the guy from American Beauty that was always filming (plastic bag in the wind), and he was very talented, but was outshone by Nina Arianda, the female lead who I’d never heard of, but was magnificent!

I’ve been hitting the gym in the evenings after work’s finished. I love that every cardio machine here has a TV screen attached – it makes my 15 min runs and rides feel like 3 mins. And there are so many channels, much more than the 40 or so that I have at home. An hour’s workout fills the bland weekday evenings up, so I think that’s helped time fly.

I watched 15mins of Henin and Dementiava playing at the Australian Open the other day whilst on the step machine. I had such a longing for home. Tennis to me equals summer, and I can’t believe that this is the third year in a row that I’ve travelled to the northern hemisphere during Aussie summer. I said to Dave on the phone the other day that he just has to say “No!” the next time I try to plan a trip during summer.

Seeing the tennis on tele prompted me to research Aussie bars in NY for something to do on Australia Day, and to watch the final of the Open. I found a couple, one that Dave and I actually went to our first time here, where we watched a World Cup soccer match and ate meat pies (Eight Mile Creek on Mulberry St). They are showing all Aust Open matches LIVE – which means the 7.30pm rounds are showing at 3.30am. No thanks! I love tennis, but not that much…

Still discovering new places near me. It’s amazing that I’ve been here 3 weeks and am walking everywhere, but hadn’t noticed Bistrouge right next door to my building on the right, (I usually walk left), or Artichoke’s pizza, which I have passed on the way to and from the gym, but only really noticed last night. These 2 places are thumping with customers, and having looked them up online, and read the rave reviews, I can’t wait to try them.

Friday night… I think we’re going to a comedy club tonight. Should be fun. Planning a weekend of discovery – Brooklyn one day and Chelsea and the Highline the next. The weather is milder now, not so cold, and forcasts even predict 50 next Monday (~10C). Yeee!

Comments

1

Frig -10C, brrrr.

I know what you mean about missing Summer. What the hell? We're taking the pale look too literally.

X

  T-Whit Jan 23, 2010 7:41 AM

2

Whoops, I meant 10 degrees, not minus 10!

  kath_atkins Jan 23, 2010 8:09 AM

About kath_atkins


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.