Existing Member?

Elective Adventure

6. A long weekend in Boston

USA | Tuesday, 19 January 2010 | Views [352] | Comments [2]

Public Garden and Boston Common

Public Garden and Boston Common

A lot has happened since I last wrote, hence, I haven’t had time to blog.

Last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I spent in the Family Planning Clinic. I had heard only good things about it, with most residents telling me that it’s friendly, relaxed and follows good hours. I assumed it would involve some fertility, contraception and genetics, which it did, but naïve little Kath hadn’t even thought about terminations. The majority of cases that I saw were for terminations for varying reasons – fetuses with abnormalities (most not compatible with life), rape victims and undesired pregnancies. I won’t say much more about the work, but I will admit that I learned the most I have so far here, and was sooo impressed with the professionalism and care that the service provided. It’s not for everyone, but I really admire what these doctors do.

All week I was considering the upcoming long weekend – Martin Luther King holiday on Monday. I was to-ing and fro-ing about whether to head to Boston or Washington DC. I really wanted to see both, and they’re both only about 4-5 hrs bus ride from NY. I ended up booking the Greyhound Bus to Boston for $46 return – can’t beat that! And staying in a girl’s dorm at the Hostel International ensured it was a cheap getaway. But before I could leave on Saturday morning I met with some friends for drinks and dinner Friday night.

Met for drinks at Double Crown, corner of Bowery and Bleeker in NoHo. Of course, the barman was an Aussie from Melbourne who one of the girls knew. It worked out nicely with some free drinks and lots of attention in the busy, bustling bar. The bathroom’s are certainly something to write home about, with each huge unisex room decorated differently.  Apparently they were voted the best in the city to ‘make love’ in.

Our group grew to 6 and the maitre d’ came across from Bianca’s to let us know our table was ready at about 10pm. Italiano cuisine, delicious! Was a fabulous night, but leaving the restaurant at around midnight knowing that I had to get up at 5am for the bus was not pleasant. Next thing I knew, alarm was blaring and I jumped into autopilot. Still very, very asleep I managed to shower, pack and jump in a cab to the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

The idea of a Greyhound Bus was somewhat romantic to me, thinking about all the movies I had seen with people full of hope and joy catching a bus to their longed for destination. In reality it was something else. I waited in the line for gate 84. A rough Whoopi Goldburg lookalike asked me to watch her bags whilst she went to the bathroom. About 25mins later she returned and I had been pushed up the line way beyond her bags. She screeched sarcastically at me, “Thanks a lot for watching them.” Then it happened again. An excited eastern European lady behind me that had been yapping away at the top of her lungs about her grandson whose turning 21, needed to visit the bathroom and asked me to hold her spot.  Sheesh!

I looked around at my fellow travelers and I was a little frightened. I wished I had the protection of Dave beside me.

We boarded, and somehow the surly Whoopi lady had got on before me and was occupying the front seat. When I made eye contact with her, she moved her bags and said, “I saved this seat for you.” Oh. My. God. I laughed nervously, and declined it politely, and moved the very back of the bus, far from her, where I found a spare seat. They filled up fast, and a large older lady with a cute flower hat sat beside me. I felt safe. ”No one will bother an old lady”, I thought.

I slept the first couple of hours and woke up somewhere in Connecticut when we stopped for a break. Feeling refreshed I jumped out, bought a coffee and rushed back on before our allotted 10min break was over. Then it began. Seeing that I was awake, flower hat lady talked, and talked, and talked all the way to Boston. She was friendly enough, and kinda cute, but then when she started on politics and talking about ‘the blacks’ I wanted to curl up and hide. And she wasn’t the softest talker either.

I made it to the Hostel, made my bed and gathered my resources – maps, city guides, etc. Then I just walked around and got my bearings. It was a clear day, the sun was shining and it wasn’t too cold. First impressions – Boston is beautiful! Lunch stop in Chinatown for pork buns. There’s something so comforting about Chinatown’s in foreign cities. I can’t figure it out, but I always seem to be drawn there.

Caught the bus out to Cambridge (a suburb of Boston) and walked through Harvard. What an area! Cambridge is so pretty, with a peaceful village feel, and the campus is awesome. It was exhilarating being there! Bought the obligatory Harvard jumper then made my way back to the Back Bay area where I was staying, for dinner. Watched TV and read trashy magazines before my head hit the pillow at around 9pm. It was a long day!

Harvard University

Sunday was overcast and cool. Wandered to Trinity Church and sat in on the service for a little while. Then decided to jump on one of the hop-on-hop-off trolleys that zig-zag through the city. It was a good option for a short stay in Boston – went down to the harbor, drove along a good portion of the Freedom Trail, past Fenway Park (baseball), and learned lots of tid-bits, like the fact that President Obama was in town for the day. I kept my eyes peeled all day but no sightings :-(

Had lunch and a local beer at Cheers Bar (from the TV show), which is actually called the Bull and Finch Pub. Messaged Trish to tell her about my daggy afternoon, and she called me. Was sooo good to hear from you Trish, absolutely made my day! (Secretly, I pretended at the beginning that there was a delay, but I couldn’t talk cause hearing your voice choked me up!)

Cheers Bar

Decided not to be lame and stay in for the night, so had bought half-price tickets to ‘In the Heights’, a musical showing at the Boston Opera House. What a show! It was so good – a mix of hip-hop and latino music and dancing, set in Washingtown Heights (northern Manhattan island).

Monday morning I packed up my bed, checked out and stored my bag as my bus wasn’t leaving until 12.30pm. Decided to walk around one last time, but when I got outside there was a thick blanket of snow over everything. It was still snowing too, and not that cute snow that’s light and melts on you straight away. It was like mini hail pellets walloping my face, and underfoot, my shoes were quickly soaking through. Uh oh. I walked up Newbery St (Boston’s answer to NYC’s Fifth Ave or LA’s Rodeo Dr) and found a cheapish pair of boots that were water proof. Yay! As soon as my feet were dry I was happy and sloshed through the slush with a skip to my step.

The bus back to NY was empty. Fell asleep on and off on the way ‘home,’ until we hit traffic and had to change highways in New Haven, Connecticut. From here I eagerly watched the passing towns, Milford, Stratford, Bridgeport, Fairfield; getting to see a new part of the country, and following the coast south. 

Back to my apartment, quickly unpack, shower and grab a bite to eat. Have to get ready for Monday Night’s Much Ado – an open rehearsal run by NY’s Shakespeare Society of Much Ado About Nothing. Was a very different experience. 6 actors and the director on stage doing a read through of a couple of Acts, stopping to talk through the meaning of the words, and then re-reading scenes with a different flavor. Was really great! Then they had audience questions at the end. Being so immersed in science and all things medical, I’d forgotten how much I enjoy language and performance.

Glad to be back in NY. Boston was really gorgeous, with its harbor and European feel, but there’s just something about New York…..

Comments

1

I love reading about your travels Kath - you are very adventurous and cant wait until the next instalment. Glad everything is going well for you.

Keep well - love Di xxx

   Di Jan 20, 2010 5:35 PM

2

How scary are Greyhounds?! You do know they give prisoners who just get out Greyhound vouchers? I think my record was 13 hours on one, never again!

I snorted at your scary Whoopi story, good move in denying her hospitality.

And great to chat to you as well, soon to be a lovely person to person experience.

BTW, Whit Port was in Miami on the weekend- in a bikini. How weird to think you got snow and she got sun.

xx

  t-whit Jan 21, 2010 4:19 AM

About kath_atkins


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.