Existing Member?

Elective Adventure

8. Surprise!

USA | Tuesday, 26 January 2010 | Views [333] | Comments [3]

Dave, walking through SoHo

Dave, walking through SoHo

I had a full weekend of exploration planned. I was going to see Brooklyn on Saturday and had researched my route extensively. Then I wanted to visit Chelsea on Sunday, namely grab a hot chocolate at City Bakery then walk the Highline. This is all now postponed til next weekend as I have a houseguest!

It’s 6am on Saturday morning and my phone is ringing. The phone that I have here is a flip phone that doesn’t have a screen on the front, so you don’t know whose calling until you open it to answer. I assumed it was the wrong number, so didn’t answer. Curiosity caught up with me though, so I opened the phone to check the number, and it said ‘Dave.’ “Hmmm,” I thought, “Something must be wrong for him to call this early.” I went to call him back and he beat me to it. I answered this time, and Dave says, “Hi Katho, I’m outside your building!” “What? What do you mean?” I was so dazed, and still very asleep. He had to repeat himself a few times before I comprehended what he was telling me, and got up to open the door. I wasn’t expecting him til Feb 2nd and had been counting down the days, resigning any hope of him arriving sooner.

Wow! What a surprise! This is the second time that Dave has got me like this. The first time was his proposal to me, where he had purchased a ring without me finding out. I think I’m a pretty hard person to surprise, because admittedly, I am a bit of a control freak and like to know everything that’s going on! So kudos to you Dave, you did good!

Before I was going to go to Brooklyn, I had planned to do some grocery shopping, as the cupboards were bare. So after we caught up and grabbed a coffee and bagel down the road, we walked up to Union Square and shopped at Food Emporium. They are currently promoting Australian food as part of NY’s Australia Day celebrations. I was lovely seeing the ‘Australian Made’ kangaroos around the shop, and passing the King Island camembert and TimTams.

Later, we wandered down to SoHo for some shopping, before Dave quickly faded and needed a sleep. Woke up later in the afternoon and we thought we should have a late night out so that he stays up and hopefully sleeps in in the morning. Any excuse…

Had a lovely night out – drinks and dinner at Coffee Shop in Union Square. At one stage the Italian in me came out, talking with my hands, ooops! Knocked over my glass of red wine, staining the girl next to me’s pants. Crap!

Me at Coffee Shop, Union Square

Sunday was a very quiet day. Dave was awake at 2am but managed to stay in bed til 4ish before he had to get up. And when I was ready to rise at around 9am, he was sleepy again. This occurred at day, so we dozed and caught up on sleep, before venturing out late afternoon for the first time. Grabbed a slice at Artichoke’s – Mmmm! Margarita pizza has never tasted so good. Then just wandered around some shops, and got some fresh air, before returning home to the warm apartment.

It’s now Monday morning, and I’m ready to return to the hospital for my last week on Ob/Gyn. Dave has his work and uni timetable sorted for his next month here, and is planning on things he wants to see during the days that I’m working. We’ve been up since 5am, and I guess I should get used to it, at least for the rest of this week. It’s a small price to pay for having Dave here with me ;)

Comments

1

Glad you liked your "surprise" Kath - Dave swore the whole family to secrecy!! He missed you too much.
Love Di xx

  Di Jan 26, 2010 8:33 PM

2

Argh, I miss my sister to bits!

  T-Whit Jan 27, 2010 10:44 AM

3

nice surprise! glad he was able to keep it quiet

  Dan Jan 29, 2010 11:37 AM

About kath_atkins


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.