Existing Member?

Travel Essays

Dachau Concentration Camp in lieu of Neustwanstein Castle

GERMANY | Wednesday, 19 May 2010 | Views [468]

So for some reason I chose to end my stay in Munich with a visit to Dachau concentration camp instead of going to the fairytale castle Neustwanstein. I guess I felt that I had seen enough, so far in my trip, of what beauty and excellence Man has the capacity for using creativity and intellect. Now it was time to see the ugly but existing flipside. My tour in Munich as well as my decision to see Dachau, when I explicitly said that I did not what to set such a tone for my trip has a lot to do with my thoughts on American Domestic policy and where I see it going with the "Arizona"Question. Munich in it's time was considered a backwater too. Yet it was the birthplace of the Nazi party, and housed the first and longest running concentration camp in one of its close suburbs. It's a disturbing thought. I have not seen what is going on at home, for fear of the worst and if this law has passed I will return to find my worst fears confirmed and America will no longer be what I know her as, nor perhaps has she ever been what I had thought.  Some sombering thoughts in the midst of my trip.

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.