Existing Member?

Travel Essays

The Hills are Alive~with the sound of my off key tune~~

AUSTRIA | Sunday, 16 May 2010 | Views [525]

I totally nailed the Original Sound of Music Tour yesterday. Which in my opinion is a must do though you may scoff. Riding on a coach bus with 50 other crazy tourists just waiting to point and click may not be my cuppa tea on a normal basis, but it was a much needed break for my poor feet and besides tour group = guranteed people to take your picture in front of major tourist attractions. The movie has such a following that small facts, like that the little girl who played Gretchen almost drowned when filming the boat overturning scene and had to be pulled out by her hair, only make for interest rather than disappointment. I totally started to re-watch the movie again last night before bed and will finish it today on the train to Munich. Meanwhile I climbed up the fortress saw the view but refused to dish 8 euro to climb to the top...done enough climbing thank you. I'm starting to feel like I'm the one fleeing the Nazis along the Alps. It can get quite steep to Nonnberg Abbey. I sat at the church for over and hour last night in the dark before they started to light the candles and prepare for vespers (?). 

It was intriguing to see the rituals that went into preparing for the rather short chant, but it was beautiful....a transcendent experience. I am glad that I went though it was cold cold cold....I am currently wearing 3 layers of clothes and will at a jacket later...Oh May why have you failed me!?

 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.