Existing Member?

Incidents of Travel in Central and South America 2010

Iguazu, I love you

ARGENTINA | Friday, 24 December 2010 | Views [528]

    It seems that every place we get to is a place that I fall in love with! Puerto Iguazu is one of those places; I've only been here for 2 days, but I love it already. It is so relaxed and chilled and the people are really friendly. There is always music playing and the people just seem to live the good life here. Ad there's little children selling stuff on the streets; I feel a little sorry for them because they look really poor, but they are some of the cutest children that I have ever seen and I keep saying that I want to take one home. Only kidding! Our hostel is really fun...its an absolute paradise too. There's a pool and big garden and of course an outside bar with chairs and tables and all that jazz. Drinks are cheap and the staff are nice...it's one of the nicest places I've stayed at so far.
    
    Yesterday we went to Iguazu Falls and oh my god they are amazing. I'd donned my jungle gear so Amy predicted that it was a day full of adventure! There was so much water flowing over the falls and just so many falls in the first place. We caught the local bus to the national park then got on this little train that took us to what is called the Devil's Throat. It's this massive semi-circle shaped waterfall that has torrents of water gushing over it. The river is so wide at the top and it tapers into a smaller river at the bottom so all the water is swept into one place making an incredible waterfall. It was so high, but the power of the water still sent gusts of mist up to the top where we were standing so that we got a little wet. We could also see Brazil from this point, but I think view from the Argentinean side was better...more close up. We then walked back long the boardwalk to the train station that took us to the second section of cascades. We walked along the top of them first and there were hundreds of waterfalls; big and small. It was breathtaking; absolutely beautiful.

    Amy kept saying how funny it was that people are so fascinated at such a simple thing as water falling over the side of a cliff and I have to agree with her. After the walk along the top of the falls we took the lower route and I got so wet because you could right up to the edge of the platform that was below a really big waterfall. It was so powerful, you'd get so crushed if you were in the water!! We heard this crazy story that in the past people used to go in row boats at the top of the falls almost to the edge to see the falls!! I wouldn't even do it in a speed boat now.....there's no way that it could be strong enough to get out of the current! There was also so many beautiful plants and animals in this jungle and these raccoon things called coati's. They were really cute, but kind of look like giant rats to me so I wouldn't get too close. We had such a good day and were so amazed by the waterfalls, definitely a highlight of the trip.

    When we got back to the hostel that evening I was doing a little cooking and reading and who strolls up the garden path but none other than April. We had told here where we were staying here in Iguazu and she came to find us. We had a big catch up then went out for a drink and a bit to eat, then back to our hostel where we had another drink (Happy Hour how I love you!) Then April got a case of the hives, we think it was the pool at her hostel so she went to have a shower and a lie down. Amy and I went out for a late snack and had the most amazing veggie stir-fry, then back to the hostel bar. We then tried to find April's hostel, as she couldn't remember the name of it we just guessed and got it right on the first go. She was not in a good state, all blotchy so I got her some anti-histamines and put her to bed! How good of a doctor am I!lol just kidding. So an interesting night was had by all.

 

About kalamina


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.