Existing Member?

Incidents of Travel in Central and South America 2010

Loving life!!!

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 22 December 2010 | Views [588]

    I love this city!!!! Buenos Aires is the most amazing place and definitely the best city I have ever been to in my life! It is so cosmopolitan and trendy and the people are very different. I love people watching from a restaurant because the things people wear here are pretty extreme, but they somehow get away with it. I think short shorts are definitely in season (and not just for the girls), along with floral print dresses and tops and wearing sunglasses inside. Some of the outfits are very questionable but interesting for the most part. After the night on the crazy train Amy and I slept until about 3pm then got up and had a little wander up the street. Honestly we are in the best location to do everything here; you walk right out the front door and you are surrounded by shops, restaurants and street venders selling everything from to shirts to toys to underwear to leather goods and so much more. The next day we were much more rested and went on a really long walk to the trendy part of town called Recoleta. Here there are heaps of parks and a street market and sculptures and nice buildings and the most famous is the cemetery. It is massive and makes the one in Carlton seem small in comparison. We saw Evita's grave and hundreds of other huge mausoleums. It was really amazing and looked really expensive! We walked back to the center of town then in the true Argentinean spirit, waited until really late to have dinner. I don't know if I said it before, but they eat at like 10pm here....its so strange. That night we were just going to go to the bar downstairs, but it was closed when we got there. Then one of the guys asked us if we were going to the party, so we were just like.....sure and we got put in a mini-van and taken to this club that was beyond words! It was so big, like 4 stories and had a massive screen that looked like it was brainwashing everyone trying to get them to buy this drink called speed. It just kept flashing speed, speed, speed, speed.... The music was pretty ordinary though and we didn't stay for long. It was about 1 by the time we got home and we slept very well that night.
    We decided to stay for one extra night in BA because we loved it so much and we realized that we didn't have to rush at all. So the day before we left we went to do some of the touristy stuff here. We visited the Obelisk and the Casa Rosada (where Evita entertained her crowds), also some other buildings and plazas. I've done so much here in BA already that I can't even remember it all. Met some really cool people at the hostel too, it's all been wonderful. Oh and I just have to mention the breakfast here at the hostel.....it is amazing and free which is even better. They have this stuff in Argentina called dulce de leche and it is incredible. I think you're meant to have it on bread, but I've just been eating spoonfuls of it from the tub. Luckily it is so rich and I can't eat very much otherwise I may never stop!
    We took the bus to Iguazu falls today and it was surprisingly not that long. It took 18 hours, but seemed more like 10...maybe I'm getting used to these long bus rides. As soon as we arrived we were confronted with this lovely heat...it is so hot here and humid too; just like being back in the jungle. I love it here, from the moment I stepped off the bus I could smell that familiar smell of the jungle that made me feel at home again. We went out to lunch and had to move tables because there was a sudden rainstorm.....oh how I've missed the rain, especially tropical rain. It just buckets down for a while then completely stops, then there is a nice coolness in the air; its just perfect. Anyways I think we are going to stay here for Christmas because it is so nice and relaxing, then it's straight to Rio de Janeiro for New Years.....party!!!

 

About kalamina


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.