Existing Member?

Incidents of Travel in Central and South America 2010

Extreme Ecuador

ECUADOR | Friday, 5 November 2010 | Views [1126]

Wow sorry I've been really lazy the past few days and haven't written anything, but in actually fact I've been really busy doing stuff and having the time of my life doing it. First of all the flight from Mexico City to Ecuador was great, only one stop over in San Jose, Costa Rica but we didn't even leave the airport and it was only 30 minutes. When we arrived in Ecuador it was really cold; like 10 degrees or something, we got a tax and headed to a hostel in the center of the new part of the city. Turned out that the hostel we wanted didn't have and rooms available so we went to one that was pretty much next door. It was nothing special but we didn't know what to expect from Ecuador so we said we'd stay there. Then we went to get some food because we were starving, and on the way back we saw a better hostel that we wanted to stay at. We went back to the first one and told them that we wanted to leave and had to argue about how much we should pay them for leaving our bags there for only a couple of hours...it wasn't pleasant, but we just wanted to leave that place. We didn't have very good first impressions of Quito because as soon as we walked out of the hostel looking for a bank we saw this young guy getting chased down the street. We had been told that Quito was a dangerous city, but we didn't expect to see that. Also the city seemed like a ghost town; there were hardly any people anywhere and we had no idea why. But since then I have really grown to love this place and its not that dangerous at all. And we realized that we arrived on the first day of a 3 day public holiday in Ecuador which explains the lack of people.

The restaurants in New Town are really great and the food is amazing!! A little more expensive than Mexico though, but still cheap (considering how well the Aussie dollar is at the moment). And one of the best things is at almost every restaurant they offer 2 for 1 cocktails!!!YAY The second day in Ecuador we visited the Old Town which is a World Heritage listed city. It's full of old churches and government buildings and the plaza is really beautiful. There were also heaps of people around which was nice to see. We walked around the town for a bit and took everything in, then went to one of Quito's attractions...the sky tram. In the valley that Quito lies in it is about 2800m above sea level, when you take the sky tram up to the top of the surrounding mountain you are at an altitude of 4100m above sea level!!! Surprisingly it didn't take long to reach the top and the views up were absolutely amazing. We were lucky that when we got up there were clear skies, because about 20 minutes later the clouds set in and it was like you were at the snow; total white-out. And it was freezing up the top; i definitely miss that jungle heat!
The next day we had booked a white water rafting trip and we were all so excited. We almost missed the 6:30am bus because Amy's alarm didn't go off, but somehow April woke up just in time and we made it. It took about 3 hours to get there by bus but that was ok because the view on the way was incredible! We saw the countryside of Ecuador and I just fell in love with it...snow capped mountains, huge waterfalls coming out of the side of the mountains, and lush green hills all made for an awesome sight. There was also a group of 5 Venezuelan guys and an American couple on their honeymoon with us plus the rafting guides so we took two rafts. The guides were great, really funny and nice. The whole rafting trip took about 3 hours and it was so much fun! The river was about a class 4 (there are 5 classes), so it was pretty intense, but no one was scared at all. There were a few incidents in the guys raft with them falling out going down the rapids, but in we all stayed in ours except when the guide pushed you out when you were unaware. It was fun though, but the funniest thing was how you got back in the raft. The person in the water had a rope to pull on, and the person in the raft had to grab the straps of your life vest and pull you up, but the result was the person pulling you in just gets squashed under the person being rescued. It was the funniest sight to see and everyone got very close and personal!lol We had  really nice sunny day to begin with but in the last hour the dark gray clouds set in and the rain started. And this wasn't just like little rain....it was like jungle rain. It poured down and was freezing, but we were already wet and it was such a surreal experience that I didn't even care. Oh and I almost forgot...there was this point in the trip that we got to jump off this ledge that was 8 meters high into the river. First of all we had to scale the cliff side, I was first and I didn't even know if I was going the right way, but eventually I saw the ledge. It was so high, but surprisingly I wasn't scared at all; I was so pumped full of adrenaline that I don't think anything could have sacred me. It was the weirdest feeling...when I jumped it felt like i was in slow motion, but at the same time it all went really quickly. Definitely the biggest rush that I have ever experienced and would gladly do it a thousand times more.

So that was yesterday and today we are headed for the equator which is about an hour out of the city by bus. Not sure if we will make it as we haven't used the buses before, but we'll see. I'll keep you all updated on our adventures.xoxo

 

About kalamina


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.