Existing Member?

Retirement travelling Grey Nomad Adventures

15 DAYS ON

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 8 April 2014 | Views [309] | Comments [3]

We are now 2 towns further east. We sadly left Puebla after 3 nights there and caught the bus to Oaxaca - 5 hrs further east. Even though Puebla was a fairly big city the centre of the city where we stayed was pretty and walkable. Our host even gave us a hug goodbye.On the last day there we decided to go to a nearby town and supposedly easy to get there by local bus. We got the bus alright but ended up in the back blocks of the town instead of the centre square. WE had to pay another fare to get to the centre of Chulula(the town). It was very hot there and when we had seen the required ruins and church built on top of the ruins we called it day and decided to go back to Puebla. However that took another hour to find the right spot - a combination of asking where to go in our limited spanish (phrase book and dictionary in hand) and someone else taking pity on us. Eventually we got back safely to the hoistel - for a nana nap and a cup of tea.Next Oaxaca saw us going another 4.5 hrs east and this city is a valley surrounded by mountain ranges. None of the buildings are taller than 2 stories because it is an earthquake area - though none in recent years there been major ones in the past. When I eventually looked at the evacuation signs not only did it have what to do in a fire but what to do in an earthquake. The hostel we stayed at there we had to ourselves.The owners live off site and just come in the morning to provide breakfast and do a bit of cleaning and maybe in the evening. We were the only ones there so it was nice and quiet.The owner also picked us up and dropped us back to the station - saved on taxi fares. My pack is too heavy to put on my back so we are using taxis. I do't seem to have that much but every little bit adds to the wt.In Oaxaca we did a couple of trips around the area as well as the town. We saw an amazing petrified waterfall on the side of a mountain and on a cliff nearby(where we were) were some springs and pools - the original seamless pool except the side drops over the edge of a cliff. We also saw some local handicrafts and tasted mezcal (tequilla) Thank goodness lunch was after the tasting as a few shots goes to one's head. We also saw the obligatory ruins at Mitla and Mont Alban and the cathredral. Overnight on Sunday 6th saw us take an 11 hr bus trip further east to San Cristobel de las Casas.The ADO bus line here in Mexico is great. Better seats than the flight over. THey can lie right back and not that many passengers so 2 seats each.Not taking any chances however and took some travel sick pills again. Arrived at 6.30am Monday - cold and dark. Cold because we're up higher and dark because because the country changed to daylight saving on the weekend. Once again we are at a hostel where the owners live offsite and there a only 1 other person here so quiet again.. Apparently the cold weather is unseasonal - 6C overnight. Out come the thermals.Well that's all for now and will try to put up photos tomorrow. WE have had to spend time finding accommodation up to easter as it is peak time (as in Oz) so that has taken up ourtime. We are not like the young ones who just rock up and find somewhere. We like to have a roof over our head.

Comments

1

Glad you are enjoying yourself. You look happy and relaxed. I enjoyed the photos.

  mum Apr 11, 2014 10:22 AM

2

Hi J &G
That petrified waterfall is amazing! Looks like everything going well so far.

x Kay

  Kay Apr 11, 2014 12:19 PM

3

Hi Judy looks GREAT!! Your mum rung re our email, we hadn't received any emails from you Stay cool Marita! geebungpharmacy@gmail.com

  Marita Apr 11, 2014 3:27 PM

About jugap


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.