Existing Member?

Retirement travelling Grey Nomad Adventures

22 DAYS ON

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 16 April 2014 | Views [270] | Comments [1]

Once again we are 2 towns further into our journey and about to move on again to Merida - NW - and capital of the Yucatan state. We ended up spending 4 nights in San Cristobel.We enjoyed the weather there even though it warmed up a bit.We did a trip to a local canyon.The river thru the canyon was damed to faciltate a hydro-electric plant. The result is that the level of water in the canyon is much higher and there are tourist trips down the canyon in open boats. During our time there we walked a lot around the town and at either end of the main centre there is a church up on a hill (many steps to climb) which gives good views of the town and surrounding mountains.Also did a trip to 2 local villages that each conduct a version of catholism that is crossed with some pagan rites. - no pews,some offerings eg dead chickens and mirrors on the statues to reflect evil.They believe offerings or lighting of candles and prayers can rid one of disease or evil. Interesting. Found a french style pasteleria in San Cristobel - lovely pastries and hot coffee - no workplace health and safety here. San Cristobel is in the Chiapas area of Mexico and is the 3rd largest area of amber deposit in the world after Middle East area and Dominican Republic.Visited a great little amber museum (approx $2 entry),saw some great examples and bought my first souvenir - a pair of amber studs. Know they are not fakes which abound (plastic).Now to keep them safe till Jan'15.As the bus station was not far away was able to walk dragging my suitcase behind me - albeit slowly over the cobblestone narrow footpaths - well it saved a few pesos.So it was on to Palenque - 51/2 hrs further north east. Went through some lovely mountain scenery (travel sick pills again to the rescue). Arrived in Palenque at 7pm - still light as daylight saving - and could walk (slowly again) to the hostel. Booking was not correct but still managed to get a room con bano (with bathroom). Well I wouldn't call it a  bathroom - more like a cupboard under the stairs. Anyway only for 2 nights. Next morning up early to get the well renown ruins before the tourist buses. Mangaed to get the right collectivo (local mini bus and cheap) to and from the ruins. It was impressive - in a "jungle" setting,but a lot of clearing with some "restoration". Once again a lot of climbing to tops of temples but worth it. At one stage heard a dreadful noise. Turned out to be howler monkeys in the trees which we caught sight of. What a huge noise for a little animal. We enjoyed the ruins however the town was nothing to look at. So the next morning saw us on the  bus at 8am to Campeche - 61/2 hrs NW, which is where we are at this point. Caught our first sight of the Gulf of Mexico - nice to see the sea again. By the way forgot to mention going down the mountains to Palenque meant a weather change - hot and humid. Campeche has been a little bit disappointing for us in that it is has been hot and humid,undergoing some works around the town roads and the old fortification walls that go round the old centre. There a Malecon - foreshore walk - similar to shorncliffe/brighton area, but it is all cement and no shade but the sea view is great. There has been a demonstration in the Plaza Principal the last couple of evenings of how the local society used the Plaza in years gone by - promenading,music,dancing and vendors. It was an interesting half  hour. We struck non english speaking reception at the hotel and it was dearer then we thought but have been compensated by a king size bed,air-con, TV and wi fi in room. Wi Fi in Palenque was hit and miss and only in a common area. Our meals here have been hit and miis. A couple of great lunches at a vegetarian cafe but teas not quite what we expected due to our inability to dechiper the spanish menu that has no pictuires . Ah well we shall improve. Now onto Merida for easter - 6 nights there. No plans after that so that will be our chore there. Looking forward to getting there but gary has just checked the weather - 34c . Sarah did say expect to be hot in Mexico.

Comments

1

It all sounds most interesting, Judy, and I've been following your travels on our large, "The Times" Atlas of the world.
Colm has just had a short stint in the Prince Charles hospital with a bleeding peptic ulcer, but is home now and on the mend.
Love, Leonie.

  Leonie Dillon Apr 16, 2014 4:26 PM

About jugap


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.