Existing Member?

Jubaloos Adventures Hello and welcome to my travelling journal. I have set it up so that everyone can see what I am getting up to without me fretting that I have left someone out.Dont forget to let me know how your doing!

School and new experiences

SOUTH KOREA | Friday, 11 January 2008 | Views [1160] | Comments [9]

This is Marting the Korean Manager/teacher I am staying with and will be moving into a new flat next week with. He is very kind and friendly and also very curious about england so he is always asking me questions.

This is Marting the Korean Manager/teacher I am staying with and will be moving into a new flat next week with. He is very kind and friendly and also very curious about england so he is always asking me questions.

Ok so I woke up this morning at 5am because I couldn’t sleep and it was snowing. It’s not that cold but it makes the city look soo beautiful. So what has happened since landing? I went to the school straight after landing and get the bus to Suwon. After observing a class or two the school closed for the evening and 2 of the Korean teachers took me for dinner at a local Japanese restaurant that basically has a bbq set inside the table and small slices of beef and chicken were brought to the table to cook on the bbq. Also they brought over some of their national Korea dishes Gimchi ( cabbage that is either pickled, brined or marinated in red pepper sauce which is a bit too spicy for me) and Bibibap( plain boiled rice ad various vegetables such as cucumber, shredded carrot, radish, bean sprouts in brine, pickled or plain). I was then told at the meal that they hadn’t gotten my flat ready yet so they would put me up in a hotel for the night and yesterday we went flat hunting. We went and looked at 3 flats I could live in by myself but they were extremely small and didn’t actually seem to have a proper shower, the bathroom consisted of a toilet, a sink, a shower head and a drain in the floor. Apparently most single flats don’t have a shower cubicle you just stand in the middle of the room and hold the shower head above you- strange. I was a bit uncomfortable with that but we had one last option, to live with one of the Korean Teachers Martin and the English teacher who will move here soon. We went to look at the flat and it was huge and very nice, brand new and 30 seconds away from the school. I decided I would like to live there but it will not be ready until Sunday so I am still living out of a suitcase. Last night I stayed with one of the Korean Teachers flat, Martin.

Anyway today I will be teaching 5 of my own classes which will be starting at 2.30. each class is about 45 minutes long and the basic premise of the school is that children finish normal school and go to a private language school. The younger children finish school a little earlier and have the earlier classes. Not all children take English classes, they could choose to go to taeqwandoe school, or music school etc 2 to 3 times a week and some may choose to do a few different activities bless their little souls they must be exhausted after a full day at school and then all these after school clubs! Anyway, what happens is the Korean teacher takes classes that can range from 2-10 children ranging from 6-16 yrs old depending on their ability. They will go through a module in a particular text book and after 2-3 lessons will finish the module. This is where the English teacher comes in. I will take this class and go over the basic premises of the module that they have just been through and make sure they are pronouncing the words correctly, that they can use the words in a grammatically correct sentence and that they understand what they are saying.

The ‘Village’ that the school is situated in is called Dongtan which is very close to Suwon. It isn’t what we would call a village as there are vast amounts of apartment blocks and new building being built because it is a very new village. It will very quickly expand and more and more businesses will buy the empty building space that dominates much of Dongtan at the moment. Mike (the American teacher at my school) took me up and down the street last night in one of his free periods and showed me how little there was just around the school but there are new bakeries, and supermarkets popping up everywhere, one of which was much like a Tesco express and Mike seems to think is owned by Tesco (but it has a totally different name). Anyway I better go and get ready for my first day of teaching! Exciting! And I may be going to a bar in Suwon after work which is well known as a meeting place for English, Americans and Australians so that will be nice. Speak soon xxx

Tags: People

Comments

1

Hi julia,
Jen forwarded your mail with you journal website link. I think this experience is just great, I really envy you. I wish I could have lived such a great adventure in my life. So good of you to have made this journal so we know all about your life. I'm really looking forward your next pictures of the town, school, children & teachers. I know a korean girl because in my job I do business with her company for hot fix transfers. She's very nice & leaves in seoul. Your town is close to Seoul ? Take really care of you, kisses from FRANCE from CORALIE

  Coralie Jan 11, 2008 8:21 PM

2

Hi Julia!
It's great to have news from you and this very enriching experience; I wish you all the best for your stay and job .You will meet lots of interesting people of different cultures. How fascinating..
Let's keep in touch.
Bisous from the dumas family

  daniele dumas Jan 12, 2008 8:31 AM

3

Hi Ju,
Hope you are ok and enjoying your self. It all sounds very exciting and I am sure you will be a big hit out there. Hope fully once you have got youre flat sorted you will be settled. keep up the good work will keep looking.
Lots of love from us all

  Claire Grant Jan 12, 2008 8:58 PM

4

hey sweetie, you sound like youre having a very busy time and taking in as much as you can.enjoy every moment and good luck with your first week at school!
lots of love,jo and sue x

  jo Jan 12, 2008 9:11 PM

5

Hi Jools
Good to hear from you again. Sounds like you've been lucky with the flat. Let me know if there's any vacancies for Maths teachers out there!
Love, Alex, Sharon & Lee

  Alex Jan 13, 2008 4:26 AM

6

Come on Jools - no news for 2 days now! (Maybe 3 for you, how does your time relate to ours?)
Just found the photos - most impressive. I've added a couple of comments - don't know if the system tells you that or if you have to keep checking them?

Latest news from us is that Lee's finally replaced his car after days of work on my part and a few minutes on his :o). A little old Fiesta which we pick up on Wed, hopefully.
See you
(How d'you say that in Korean? I think you should teach us a Korean phrase in every blog entry you do)
Alexxxx

  Alex Pryor Jan 14, 2008 9:39 AM

7

Hi Ju,
Glad you are ok spoke to your mum today and she said you hoped to of moved in your flat sunday lets hope so. I wondered what the food was like out there it seems rather tasty. Good luck with your first week at school I dont suppose they do the Jolly Phonics out there!!!!! Take care
Claire
xxxxxx

  Claire G Jan 15, 2008 5:00 AM

8

How's it hanging sweetheart? What do you know about skyp? Can you subscribe to it out there? It seems as though if you're both subscribers that you can speak - using the computer - for free. Tell me what you know about it. It's still raining here - same old same old! Went to see a film last night and it wasn't on when we got there.Brilliant! Ah well, the Koreans wouldn't do that would they? Do you have English films on TV? Let us know you news. Love you zillions Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Mum Jan 17, 2008 4:22 AM

9

hi there,
my name is dee...
soon to be leaving edinburgh scotland - to join
Khan english school - should be flying out to south Korea end march - april........................
i have a problem finding the school on the net - would really appreciate it if you could post me there web site,,,also any other tips would be great too'oo
maybe catch up - with you - there
thanks
dee

  dee Mar 7, 2008 6:38 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.