Existing Member?

Crikey! Jamie's gone down under!

First Day In Oz

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 8 November 2010 | Views [342] | Comments [3]

Hi Everyone!

I've finally arrived, after 2 11 hour plane journeys, stopping off for 3 hours in Seoul, South Korea on the way. I've been travelling with 2 girls from my Ozintro group, and its been really good to have company to pass the time with (NO, Charles). Got to watch so many films I'd wanted to see, and some that I hadn't (Katy and Angela, watch "Despicable Me" and "Toy Story 3", you'll absolutely love them - and everyone should watch "The Other Guys" if you can, just hilarious). We landed at Sydney airport at 7.10am local time, and were driven to the hostel by one of the guys from Ozintro. It was already FULL sunshine by now, and on the way to the hostel, there was an electronic board sating "8.15am, 22 degrees C". Can you believe it?! The heat is incredible, just SO different to the UK! It was due to reach 27C, and it is just lovely where we are. The hostel is a stones throw from the beach, and whilst we were waiting for the rooms to be ready, another Ozintro guy and I went swimming, at 9.00 in the morning!! It was just what we needed after 24 hours of flying, and it really refreshed us.

More and more people started to arrive, the rooms STILL not being ready, and the place just filled up and up and up. Went for a quick shower, and then went to grab breakfast from the McDonalds directly underneath the hostel, and then went for a welcome pack at the head office to get my sim card and itinerary. Eventually we got into our rooms, and pretty swiftly we headed for Sydney to go for a walk round the botanic gardens, Macquarie Point and Circular Quay (where the Opera house is) in the sun. Its incredible how fitness crazy the Aussies are, there were sooooo, many runners around on the way!! We stopped to feed some cockatoos in a tree, which was pretty damn cool, and after taking some photos of the bridge and opera house, we went to a jetty in the quay. And not just any jetty.

Cruising around the harbour in a jet boat with dance tunes pumping out at you is one thing, but when he opened it up and started doing spins, it was insane!! We got unbelieveably wet, especially as I was sitting at the back, and we just had so much fun!! If anyone was still sleepy and tired from the plane journey, they were wide awake now! Had a soaking wet bus ride home afterwards, and after getting some fresh clothes on (no mean feat given that its mixed rooms and underwear needed changing -- dignity = out the window) we headed out to dinner at a restaurant right next to us. It was a nice introductory meal, and we had a great offer due to ozintro as well, so costs were kept down a bit!

And now I find myself writing this blog, at 5.52pm, being told that I have 8 mins until the office closes, so I need to say goodbye. I hope everyone is well, I'm missing you all so much! Byeeeeee xxxxxxx

Comments

1

It's nice to be able to visualise what you are talking about (circular quay, macquarie point etc.) but sounds really good!! Feeling sorry for the girls in a mixed room (the smell)! So jealous of the 27C, it rained ALL day today and was so cold I could barely write my name in the exam. xxx

  Yvette Nov 9, 2010 4:55 AM

2

ahhh that sounds insaaaane! i have seen despicable me and i loved it so funny. Im even a bit jelous of the plane journey it sounds quite fun...
so have you made friends?
and are there cockatoos in the street just flying about. i think someone should suggest this to borris johnson. london would be cheered up a bit if someone changed the pidgeons for cockatoos. australia can have our pidgeons they get nice weather.
and its alright for some. could you send some of that heat over. our heater broke and its FREEZING!
love you xxxxxxxxxx

  ange Nov 10, 2010 6:30 AM

3

oh ange, you are funny!! there arent as many cockatoos as i think you're imagining, but there are some trees with a lot just sitting in them. and ill try and send the weather over, but im not promising anything!! xxx

  Jamie Nov 13, 2010 9:41 AM

About jtmoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.