Existing Member?

The Labors of Bucephalus No matter how tedious life at times could become, one look out the window was enough to remind me that not far away, the world-and adventure-were impatiently waiting.-R. Morse

Searching for Identity in Beirut

LEBANON | Friday, 22 February 2008 | Views [903] | Comments [1]

The Lebanese army. I'm a big fan.

The Lebanese army. I'm a big fan.

Beirut appears to suffer from an identity crisis, as the youth of the city seem to have largely embraced "western" notions of extravagnace, social standing, and personal excess.  Strangely, this city feels to be imbued with a party vibe, coupled with the sense of impending disaster.  Whole blocks in southern Beirut have been levelled by Israeli bombs, pockmarks from shrapnel dot abandoned buildings, and yet in the midst of it all, graceful French architecture is prevalent in newly constructed and remodelled nightclubs, bars, and restaurants-all seemingly touting a naive and innappropiate attitude of indignant hedonism in the face of an ever-darkening horizon.

Tags: Party time

Comments

1

Interesting observation. Do you think that most Lubnanis view this "party" atmosphere is irreverent or optimistic? If the youth are connected with this decadent consumer culture, which sectors of society disagree with them, and what do they have to say about it? I am only curious because I have never been to Lebanon, and the observation you make seems to me only the outer skin of the onion.

Matt


The Accidental Linguist

  Matt Apr 4, 2008 11:49 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Lebanon

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.