Existing Member?

The Labors of Bucephalus No matter how tedious life at times could become, one look out the window was enough to remind me that not far away, the world-and adventure-were impatiently waiting.-R. Morse

My Addiction to Sheesha

EGYPT | Saturday, 15 March 2008 | Views [1501]

Luxor has been fabulous.  This is, after all, my first exposure to what I consider "true" Egypt.  It is a hot, hazy place chock-full of palm trees and awe-invoking temples.  This was the capital city of Ancient Egypt during the 11th and 18th dynasties, when it was know as Thebes, and boy, it shows.  Luxor, Karnak and medinet Habu were by far the most impressive temples I saw.  From top to bottom almost every square inch was inscribed with hieroglyphs.  Towering obelisks pierce the sky, accompanied by the collosal icons of pharoahs long past, wearing faces of menacing solidity.  A sunset felucca ride was another highlight of Luxor.  A stroll on Banana Island, assaulted by the gurgling cackles of Ibises and strong scents of greenery in full bloom invoked memories of my youth.  Well, not so much the cackling Ibises, but the smells brought back the springtimes of my childhood.  It took a while to place it, but this exotically charming island smelled a lot like dandelions.  I had evidentally forgotten just how good they smell.  A reminder, I suppose, to stop and smell the roses, or dandelions or whatever odiferous flower  may come acrosse my path.  5 Egyptian pounds gains entry to the island, plus a bunch of bananas that, despite my aversion to the fruit, I had to try.  After having exhausted a good portion of possibilities in Luxor, a sleeper train, with an extremely accomodating staff transported me to Cairo.  Just don't eat the lamb, my stomache has yet to forgive me. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.