Existing Member?

The Labors of Bucephalus No matter how tedious life at times could become, one look out the window was enough to remind me that not far away, the world-and adventure-were impatiently waiting.-R. Morse

City of God

ISRAEL | Friday, 29 February 2008 | Views [1081] | Comments [1]

The one place that has left the greatest impression upon me so far has been Jerusalem.  There is such a sense of ease there, no feelings of tension, or danger, just a beautiful city steeped in the history of significance.  What also was impressed upon me was the strong feeling of community among not only those of the Jewish faith, but Muslims and Christians as well.  The sounds of schools are ever-prevalent, as are the children, singing, playing, and walking through the narrow streets of Old Jerusalem unaccompanied, as if there was nothing to fear.  And I must admit, it felt as if there was not.  And speaking of singing, it was hardly exclusive to children,  My first day in the city had an infectiously celebratory mood to it.  People were singing and playing drums inside the Gate of the Moors, singing and dancing in the shadow of the Western Wall, singing in perfect unison, hand in hand, as they hiked down the Mount of Olives.  These were not the cacophonous (to my western ear) bellows heard five times a day from every minaret, but traditional Jewish folk songs.  Songs that never failed in making me smile, and that stirred something deep inside of me. These are what I will always remember, and If I felt I had the right, or the knowledge, I might have joined in.  

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Thank you for writing such positive words. Helps shift perspective about a place we (meaning me)have only seen on tv...

  allwelcome Mar 15, 2008 12:00 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Israel

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.