Existing Member?

The Labors of Bucephalus No matter how tedious life at times could become, one look out the window was enough to remind me that not far away, the world-and adventure-were impatiently waiting.-R. Morse

Unnerving Encounter With Hezbollah

LEBANON | Thursday, 21 February 2008 | Views [631]

For myself, the day was a bore.  An attempt to go to Baalbek was unsuccesful due to poor planning on my part, so I spent a large part of this overcast day in Beirut sleeping, reading, and watching TV.  My cousin Andrew, on the other hand returned to the hostel at 11:30 PM with quite a story.  In south Beirut there exists a camp for Palestinian refugees, and unsurprisingly there is a fairly large concentration of Hezbollah within this particular area.  Andy, along with three of our fellow hostel residents, thought it might be interesting to explore the area and take some photographs.  Obviously Westerners are easy to spot in the vicinity of a Palstinian camp, as they were quickly detained by the Hezbollah.  For the next six hours, they were questioned about everything, from what they ate for breakfast to the details of their sexual history.  The interrogation room was stereotypical, outfitted with bright lights, a see-through mirror, and blood stains.  But it sounds worse than it actually was.  Evidentally the Hezbollah were fairly professional, and at times, friendly.  Of course, had any of the party had subversive schemes in mind, the whole operation would have taken a turn for the worse.  But the more time I spend here, the more I get the impression that Western tourists are not considered threats or objects of scorn, but rather harmless, and at times naive bystanders of looming political crises.   

Tags: Misadventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Lebanon

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.